Ethernet Cable Support

KB0OXD

Ethernet Cable Support

Post by KB0OXD » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:01 am

Maybe this is in there & just don't know it because I don't own an Openspot 2 just yet

BUT IF NOT...

Such support WOULD be worth adding as that would be more stable than depending on WiFi alone (Plus, it would give us AN EXTRA OPTION & MEANS of connecting the Openspot to a PC to use in order to access the Openspot Configuration PAGE or a router to access the Internet)

Thoughts peeps??

Cheers & 73

Pat, KB00XD

Sent from my Alcatel_5059R using Tapatalk

ke8koy

Re: Ethernet Cable Support

Post by ke8koy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:14 am

I would like to add to this post and expand on it a bit. I too would love ethernet cable support for the OS2 when using it at home. I have run ethernet to all the rooms of the house and have everything that can use ethernet on ethernet, the rest use the wifi. After upgrading my router to a nice brand new modern one everything is working perfectly but I still wish to hardwire the OS2 as a wired connection is ALWAYS better than a wireless connection...period.

Now the OS2 doesn't have a built in ethernet port this is true, however there are dongles out there that fix that. For example there is a little known dongle for the Chromecast that plugs into the wall for power but also gives an ethernet port to hard wire the Chromecast to greatly improve its streaming capability all over its little micro usb connection.

My question for HA2NON would be is there a possibility to have that function with the OS2? From that status page of the OS2 we know that there is more than just power possible with the USB port since it lists if USB Data is connected so the question would be what type of connections are possible using the USB port of the OS2? Would this be something that would be possible some day as an extra accessory?

Anyway just thought I would add to your post some extra details (and to cause a bump to hopefully drum up more views / opinions) in hopes of catching the devs eye.

73!
Attachments
2019-03-28 23_10_18-Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast - Google Store.png

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:11 am

The openSPOT2 shows up as a virtual serial port if you plug it into your computer. You can find out more about this feature in the user manual: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... l#page-top
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

ke8koy

Post by ke8koy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:53 pm

So basically NO is the answer to the question. The USB connection does not have the ability to also handle an ethernet connection in addition to serial / power. Is this correct?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:30 am

It could be done, but we have not implemented such functionality. The openSPOT2 uses the USB port for power and the serial console.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

ke8koy

Post by ke8koy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:07 am

Food for thought....maybe a future option to maybe disable serial and turn on ethernet....something to keep in mind as I know it would be a popular feature / option. Thanks & 73!

ct1euw

Post by ct1euw » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:43 am

In my opinion, a new added feature that would surely increase the demand and sales of the product.