"Jittery" Audio Quality

VE6SWK

Re: "Jittery" Audio Quality

Post by VE6SWK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:58 pm

As I have said several times in this thread - Zero dejitter errors. It looks exactly like yours. Top blue line with small squiggles - flat red line at the bottom. invalid seqnum errors (0)

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:43 am

The local echo service can only record 2.5 seconds when using D-STAR modem mode. Exact length also depends on the used modem mode.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

VE6SWK

Post by VE6SWK » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 pm

The 2.5 seconds is not in the device's documentation. The D-Star echo test leads to this section of the manual "Note that only about 10 seconds can be recorded and played back by the local echo service."

If it is only 2.5 then it explains the short messages; however, I've had the echo service fail many times - giving the same electronic jittery noise that is also heard when my audio is cutting out. Listen to the echo recording I made and posted earlier in this thread - the third echo test NOTHING is transmitted except for a split second of electronic noise. This happens generally about every 3 to 5 echo tests.

Again, I posted 90 seconds of audio with 19 dropouts. This is typical of listening to D-Star transmissions with the unit I have - I have never gone more then 5 or 6 seconds without a stutter or dropout. No dejitter errors, excellent RF/WIFI connections and have performed several hardware resets plus tried several different frequencies. I still have no explanation for the dropouts heard in the audio I have posted or the intermittent working local echo service. The unit is not working properly.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 pm

We'll update the manual with the correct information (local echo length depends on the currently used modem mode) when we'll release the next stable firmware. I've assigned your ticket to a colleague who will reply to your previous email.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team