Problem with CS800 and CS800d with OS2

digitalvoice

Re: Problem with CS800 and CS800d with OS2

Post by digitalvoice »

I use the 800D and it works fine. Probably user error.

n1id

Post by n1id »

Ive tried everything. Can you tell me what firmware version you are using. There are a few of us that cannot get it to work. Thanks

digitalvoice

Post by digitalvoice »

I'm using the latest firmware on their website. A buddy of mine uses a it as well. All works perfectly fine.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

We received the CS750 and we were able to reproduce the issue with radio firmware S3.00.14 (no newer is available on the Connect Systems website which is marked stable and not experimental, http://www.connectsystems.com/software/ ... 0CS750.htm).

We found the following issues:

- The radio completely ignores the TX preamble duration setting in the CPS.
- Radio always sends 2 Preamble CSBK PDUs followed by 1 Voice LC header.

DMR specs say in section 7.1.2.5: "The Pre_CSBK PDU is shown in table 7.7. This PDU may be used to increase robustness of non-voice (data, CSBK, etc.) delivery for scanning radios." (https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/10 ... 20301p.pdf page 74)

That's why the openSPOT2 decoded the call as a data call coming from the CS800 and CS750, because it expected a data call which should start with CSBK PDUs.

Voice calls should start with one or more Voice LC headers, and not CSBKs. Also if there is only 1 Voice LC header sent by the radio and there's a decode issue then the call can only start with a late entry. That's why other radios use TX preamble duration setting which specifies how long the radio should send the same repeated Voice LC header frame so the receiver end can always decode at least 1 incoming Voice LC header.

We've added a workaround which fixes the issue, this workaround will be available in the next beta openSPOT2 firmware which will be available next week.

We notified Connect Systems about these issues with their radios, hopefully they will ask the radio developers to release a fixed firmware.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

n1id

Post by n1id »

Thank you very much for exploring this and letting CSI know about the problem.. Also thanks for the workaround Looking forward to it

ubalis

Post by ubalis »

I'm so glad I finally found this thread.

I've been trying for the past month to get my openspot2 to accept transmissions, with no success.

I similarly have a CS750 with the latest 3.00.14 firmware and have been unable to bring up the openSpot2 with voice mode. It only comes up as data mode. I will similarly wait for the beta firmware workaround.

Also, thank you for making Connect Systems aware of this header glitch.

n1id

Post by n1id »

Just downloaded the beta. Cs750 works fine. Will check other radios later but I’m sure it will be fine

ubalis

Post by ubalis »

Thank you for such rapid resolution! The main reason I purchased an openSPOT2, even though it is more expensive than some of the other contemporary DMR hotspot solutions, is that your company has a reputation for such superb support (see: http://arrl-ohio.org/digital/Amateur%20 ... arison.pdf )

Certainly, you are living up to to your reputation!

Again, many thanks!

U. Balis (N4IYL)

ubalis

Post by ubalis »

Hi,

In using the openSPOT2 for the first time last evening with the new version 23 firmware, I noticed several things about the overall radio-to-hotspot handshaking that make me wonder if there is something else not quite correct in the CS750's transmit header preamble.

1. About 20% of transmissions are not able to result in a stream that actually goes to the internet. This can be immediately confirmed by the fact that the hoseline for the channel in use shows no connection at all during these key-ups. Re-keying usually solves the problem, but I have observed instances where three or four successive key ups result in no packet or audio traffic to the hoseline.
2. When receiving audio from the openSPOT2, the audio received by the CS750 appears to clip the first second or so of audio. The full duration of audio does come through on the hoseline. This initial truncation leads me to believe that the authentication/handshaking process for the CS750 is taking longer than it should.

Mostly, the first issue above is of greatest concern. Clearly, if one always wonders if their transmission is going through or not, the utility of the solution as a workable communication pathway is somewhat diminished. While having a hoseline web page open can help with this, I do not see that as a workable long-term solution.

In closing, any help you all could provide in resolving these last two functional issues with the CS series of radios would be greatly appreciated.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

1. Does the call start after a few seconds or not at all? Do you have an OS2 log excerpt which shows anything related?
2. Try turning off battery saving optimizations in the radio's CPS, maybe it helps.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team