Access issue

W4OZ

Access issue

Post by W4OZ » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:20 am

Works fine at home then it sometimes works with iPhone. Takes a long time to connect to iPhone and most times never does.

Now the unit flashes red and yellow ?

n6cid

Re: Access issue

Post by n6cid » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:08 pm

The Shark team posted this earlier:

Make sure the iPhone's hotspot settings page is kept open while you do a Wi-Fi scan on the openSPOT2. The iPhone only broadcasts it's Wi-Fi hotspot network's SSID while the hotspot settings page is kept open.

Here's a tip on how to set up the openSPOT2:

- Go to the Network page, Wireless settings, turn advanced mode on (bottom right of the web interface).
- Set your home Wi-Fi as SSID #1 (and key) and your phone's Wi-Fi as SSID #2 (and key). If your home Wi-Fi (SSID #1) is not reachable then the openSPOT2 will automatically try to connect to your phone's Wi-Fi (SSID #2). If you use an iPhone then make sure to change the phone's hotspot Wi-Fi network name as it contains a special apostrophe character which you can't enter using your keyboard.

Beta firmware v39 let's you save a network more easily on the Network page, Wireless settings section, so you don't have to care about the iPhone's name anymore, as the OS2 copy & pastes it for you when the network is saved to an SSID slot.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

K3GBB

Post by K3GBB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:05 pm

All great suggestions but still did not work for my iPhone Xs. I went so far as to list my iPhone Wi-Fi SSID and key as #1 and my home Wi-Fi SSID and Key as #2. Did a save and when the OS2 re-started it passed over my iPhone (set as #1) and went to my home network (set as #2).

I have tried everything and I guess I am ready to throw in the towel and hope for an upgrade for both the OS2 and my iPhone.

K3GBB

Post by K3GBB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:32 pm

OK...IT WORKS!!! So, what did I do? Well, I did everything suggested above...but added my iPhone SSID as #1 and home SSID as #2. At this point still not working. Started scanning the internet and found a great article on problems with iPhones and hotspots. As a last resort the article suggested a DFU. That is a Device Firmware Update, and it’s the deepest type of restore you can do on an iPhone. Since I had nothing to lose and about an hour to spend I went ahead and did it. All good now.