"Jittery" Audio Quality

VE6SWK

"Jittery" Audio Quality

Post by VE6SWK » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:02 pm

I have read several posts about trying to improve the audio quality of the OpenSpot2; however, mine is so bad at times makes it almost impossible to listen to.

The audio keeps cutting out - sometimes as often as every second or two - making it very frustrating to listen to conversations. I have disabled the standby beep on my radio - which made it totally anonying, but the audio gaps keep happening.

I looked at the Dijjter status and have no errors. I have played with a de-jiiter queue time of 1000 to 3000 ms - no difference. I am at a loss.

Here is a quick sample of the audio jitters (really noticeable at 7 and 12 seconds). But is generally there all the time - there is never a conversation without these audio errors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6h548d7s60ug ... M.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kurgevjdj5i5b ... g.txt?dl=0

When I switch over to a local D-Star repeater the quality sounds great. But going back the OpenSpot2 it is very hard to listen to - it keeps glitching all the time.

Are there other settings to fix this? My internet connection is excellent and the Openspot2 is located just a few feet from the WIFI router.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: "Jittery" Audio Quality

Post by HA2NON » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Make sure the transmit power is set to 100% on the OS2. Test the connection between your transceiver and the OS2 using the built-in local echo feature: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... calls.html
If you hear yourself back correctly, then test a D-STAR server which has an echo service like REF001 module E (set back the urcall in your radio to CQCQCQ to use the server's echo).
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

VE6SWK

Post by VE6SWK » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:03 pm

The Transmitter is at 100% Power.

The echo test only records about 1 to 2 seconds of audio - not the 10 seconds as stated in the manual.

For example if I say "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10" in about five seconds (via D-Star - "_______E") I only hear back "8 9 10" and NOT the rest of the message.

VE6SWK

Post by VE6SWK » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Just to follow up - I have repeated the echo test and it randomly plays 1 to 4 seconds of audio back. I believe there is a memory fault in the unit that causes this and is causing the audio to play back with the intermittent gaps (the "jitter" I am experiencing) - just like the echo test. Is this correct? Is there something else I should be looking at?

VE6SWK

Post by VE6SWK » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Here is the audio from three Echo Tests (DStar using "_______E" directly to the OpenSpot2).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj1nfs5pih5ds ... t.mp3?dl=0

The first two tests are only 2 and 3 seconds each - yet the audio is clipped and only about the last second of the test is played back.

The third test is even worse - it only plays back noises - this is the same type of electronic "jitter" and "pops" that constantly appear in the audio that is received from the OS2.

I am using an ICOM 5100. Connecting to a local DStar repeater the audio is perfect - but the audio from the OS2 is consistently broken up - just like the echo test. The until is in the same room as the WIFI router - I have tried several locations - closer and further away. And closer to the 5100's antenna. No change.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 am

Make sure your OS2 is running the latest stable firmware v49. Please do a factory reset on the unit, and try other RX/TX frequencies.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Please do your radio Echo test with "Use Reflector CQCQCQ" settings and not use the "Echo Test". I got broken echo test result with settings on radio "Echo test" but when I used "Use Reflector CQCQCQ" my echo test was fine on REF 001 E modul.
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester

VE6SWK

Post by VE6SWK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:24 pm

I don't want to use an external Reflector Echo Test. My OS2 is not processing audio correctly and is failing every two seconds on either receive from a reflector or during an internal Echo Test.

The OS2 has a built in Echo Test and if the unit is functioning properly will transmit back up to 10 seconds of audio. This is using DStar and URCALL set to "_______E". This fails every time and will at most return 1 to 2 seconds of audio - generally with glitches. Sometimes I just get back electronic noise.

This is the SAME issue I am having with general receive quality while listening to reflectors. The audio will not process more than 2 to 3 seconds without a gap or "glitching" out. Note there are no errors in the dejitter queue.

I have performed literally hundreds of tests now over a wide range of frequencies and factory resets using the latest firmware. The unit has a strong internet connection and excellent RF connection to the radio. The OS2 will glitch every 2 seconds or so - whether it is an Echo Test or just listening to a reflector. I have posted many examples, but here is another:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1hxje4697u97 ... e.mp3?dl=0

Again - there are no network issues identified during this transmission above. My unit simply cannot process more than a couple of seconds of audio without dropping out. There are at least 9 drop outs in that small audio clip - the OS2 STOPS transmitting at every dropout. If the "standby beep" only radio is on, it makes the conversation unbearable. Right now I have turned off the standby beep; I can listen but it is just awful.

VE6SWK

Post by VE6SWK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:40 pm

I have turned on the Standby Beep on the radio to make it obvious. Below is a 90 second clip with 19 drop outs. Lots of times the dropouts are associated with audio glitches - similar to what I hear on the echo test. I can quickly switch over to a local D-Star repeater, connect to the reflector and listen to the same conversation - no dropouts what-so-ever.

I actually like the Standby Beep; however, I need turn it off for the moment because it makes the OS2 unbearable to listen to.

Again - no errors in the dejitter queue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr90grumcx1r1 ... 6.mp3?dl=0

HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:50 pm

How looks your Dejitter bar graph on D-Star mode? This is mine.
Attachments
Dejitter on D-Star.jpg
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester