Browser resets and looses connection to OS2

W8ADA

Browser resets and looses connection to OS2

Post by W8ADA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Ever since I received my openSPOT2 it has been exhibiting some odd behavior. If I leave the unit run for 6 or 7 hours, the web interface resets (it does this in all browsers) and makes the OS2 control page no longer loadable - I just get a blank page trying to load. The only fix I have found for this is unplugging the openSPOT2 and plugging it back in to reboot.

I can check in my router and see it is still connected and has an IP assigned to it, yet entering the address no longer works after the OS2 crashes. Most times this happens it is on a TG and still sends out data to the radio, but sometimes it totally crashes the OS2 where it neither sends nor receives anything after the crash. If I recall correctly, when this happens the LED changes from alternating green and red to some other pattern. Not sure on this as it has only totally crashed a handful of times, the rest of the times it just crashes the web interface.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Browser resets and looses connection to OS2

Post by HA2NON » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Can you ping the IP address when this happens?
Does this also happens if the web interface is not opened?
Which modem mode and connector do you use? Does it happen with other connectors?
What is the LED pattern you see?
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

G4TKO

Post by G4TKO » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:04 pm

I have exactly the same problem since the V51 update

This happens maybe 1 or twice per day

John

W8ADA

Post by W8ADA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 pm

It just happened again in only several hours of uptime. This time I can confirm the red light is glowing on and off and no radio is being passed by the OS2. I read elsewhere I believe this means it's lost its WiFI connection; not sure, will wait for an expert. I can confirm from the router that the unit no longer has an IP on the WiFi network as it should. All I know to do for now is pull the plug on the OS2 and have it reboot.

After the reboot (by pulling the plug) I had to wait a long time, but finally it announced via the modem and started passing audio on the last TG again. Also the web interface is reachable again after this long reboot. And obviously it is showing up in the router with its proper IP.

W8ADA

Post by W8ADA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Can you ping the IP address when this happens?
When it does not fully crash, just the web interface, the OS2 still has an address and IP on my network that could be pinged, but in the above crash, the OS2 disappears from the network entirely.
Does this also happens if the web interface is not opened?
Yes when the OS2 fully crashes and disappears from the LAN.
Which modem mode and connector do you use? Does it happen with other connectors?
I am using the Homebrew/MMDVM BrandMeeister DMR radio interface. An Anytone AT-D878UV is the radio I am using, but it happens on the other TYT radio as well...
What is the LED pattern you see?
When it crashes like it just did (fully) the light was pulsating red bright and dim.

W8ADA

Post by W8ADA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:21 pm

OK, so I just watched the log as it crashed at 3 hours uptime. It says it has lost its connection and tries to ping gstatic to see if it is reachable, which it was not and timed out after 3 tries. I can still ping the unit, but it no longer is assigned an IP by my router (router says unknown for the device ID and IP address) and only shows its MAC address. It is still keying my radio on the last active TG but is totally erratic.

Rebooting my router doesn't set the OS2 with a new IP, but I can reach the interface after rebooting the router which caused the OS2 to connect and disconnect from the WiFi. It will still only have an active IP once I pull the plug on the OS2 and let it reboot.

After pulling the plug on the OS2 waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in, it reacquires its IP address and performance for now is restored.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:24 am

Thank you. We'll try to reproduce the issue.
Which LED state do you see on the unit when the issue happens from this list? http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en/led-states.html
SharkRF Team

W8ADA

Post by W8ADA » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:49 pm

When the unit totally crashes I receive the red on and off as in "Hardware error."
Last night I let it run and all that happened was the web interface reset, but surprisingly refreshing the browser brought the control panel back up and uptime was at 14 hours. This is not typical.

So I have seen two behaviors, both which crash the web control, but one that crashes the OS2 entirely also and the LED indicates "Hardware error" - although today all that crashed was the web interface.

I spoke too soon. While writing this the OS2 reset and reacquired its IP. Of course the web interface broke while the unit was cycling and getting its IP back. The unit completely cycled as the uptime is back to 0:00. As far as LED's, while it was rebooting I saw almost all of the different LED states save maybe blue???

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Please connect the OS2 to a computer and enter the "log" command (without the double quotation marks) into the USB serial console to turn logging on, and send us any relevant log section to info@sharkrf.com
SharkRF Team

W8ADA

Post by W8ADA » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Please connect the OS2 to a computer and enter the "log" command (without the double quotation marks) into the USB serial console to turn logging on, and send us any relevant log section to info@sharkrf.com
I am not quite sure I know how to do this; I'll check the manual, but a brief explanation would be helpful. For instance do I set a static IP in the OS2 so I can send it the log command? I have never had it plugged into a PC.