Iphone hot spot operation

crossthread

Iphone hot spot operation

Post by crossthread »

I am able to link my open spot 3 to my Iphone 12 hotspot, but it immediately knocks off the phone wifi connection.
Understanding that this is normal for the Iphone, my question is what is the benefit of doing this?
N1IG

Re: Iphone hot spot operation

Post by N1IG »

a little confused by your question, but let me see if I can help.

when you use your iPhone as a hotspot, it's data connection is forced to the cellular network, while providing wifi connectivity to that data connection for other accessories via wifi, such as the OS3.

the benefit of using your iPhone and a hotspot, is to be able to use your OS3 when there are no useable wifi networks within range. such as when your are driving your car, or out in the wild.

is that kinda what you were asking about?
crossthread

Post by crossthread »

Ok thats what I was trying to do. The open spot 3 does connect to the Iphone hot spot, but keeps trying and failing to connect to a server.
crossthread

Post by crossthread »

I think I found my problem, the Ysf reflector I was trying to connect to was down.
digitalvoice

Post by digitalvoice »

Also make sure you don't try to connect to a wifi connection with your phone. Sometimes if it sees a wifi connection that it can connect to, it will knock off the hotspot and try to connect your phone to the wifi in your house or something.
KD9WLS

Post by KD9WLS »

1. Turn on radio to the frequency assigned to your Openspot3 (OP3).  It's a good idea to do this because it is helpful to hear the status of your OP3 as it steps through the its progression.
2. Turn on the OS3 (wait until flashing red). This takes about 15 seconds.
3. On the OP3 press the WiFi button for three seconds. Listen for the beep. 
4. On your iPhone go to SETTINGS, then select WiFi. Wait a bit for the OPENSPOT3 AP (access point) to reveal itself on the WiFi list.
5. Select it.
6. Go to browser http://192.168.99.1/
7. The OP3 software should load up. 
8. Select United States
9. NEXT
10. Select MANUAL CONNECT
11. Enter your iPnone's hotspot name and password (aka KEY).  Note:  You can rename your iPhone's name by going to SETTINGS, then GENERAL, then ABOUT, then NAME. The name you give it will be the name of your hotspot. That is the name you will need to enter in this particular step.
12. Here is where you pray. If it will not connect your phones hotspot to the OP3. ...and, when successful you will hear it announced on your radio that is tuned in to the appropriate frequency. If the two  don't link, do this (at this step...not before) . On your iPhone, go to SETTINGS, then PERSONAL HOTSPOT, the turn OFF the hotspot (it is a switch next to the 'allow others to join' choice. Turn it off for about three seconds, then turn it back on. God willing, it will now  work and you will hear it announced on your HT.