Tip for post-Brexit UK customers - Import Duty/Tax

g0hww

Tip for post-Brexit UK customers - Import Duty/Tax

Post by g0hww »

Just a tip here for other UK customers awaiting delivery.

I received an SMS/email message from DHL Express advising of a delivery date and providing a link to "Manage Delivery". The link will take you to a page advising of the need to pay Import Duty/Tax before delivery will commence and provide the mechanism to pay.

Whilst you may be anticipating the need to pay Import Duty/Tax, you might not appreciate that it needs to be done at this point using the link in the SMS/email, which does not mention the need to pay.

The cost of the Import Duty/Tax for the OpenSpot3 was GBP 59.02.

Cheers, 73

Darren, G0HWW
Tyrbiter

Re: Tip for post-Brexit UK customers - Import Duty/Tax

Post by Tyrbiter »

Was that including VAT on the carriage charge? I paid €53.20 VAT, carriage was €17.

At the time (March/April 2020) I was charged the VAT by SharkRF directly, but I would also guess that the carrier or delivery agent will have added their fixed charge on to the total.
Brian G8SEZ
g0hww

Post by g0hww »

Brian, I am not sure. Carriage for me was €29.
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

g0hww wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm Brian, I am not sure. Carriage for me was €29.
20% VAT on the total is €55.60, so converting that to GBP gives £47.60

Pretty sure there is a fixed standard collection charge for each carrier, which should be detailed on DHL UK's charges page. Carriage charges have increased because freight capacity has reduced as so many passenger flights are not flying and their underfloor cargo space is a significant proportion of total capacity.
Brian G8SEZ