OpenSpot3 Power on/off

BrianWGray

OpenSpot3 Power on/off

Post by BrianWGray »

Description of issue:
A current benefit of the OpenSpot2 over the OpenSpot3 is the ability to readily automate turning it on and off with IoT outlets. Automating an outlet to turn the OpenSpot on and off allows for it to be near enough to an WiFi access point to avoid poor connectivity while not being required to traverse from one end of the home to the other to turn it on and off if you don't want to leave it on while you are not operating.

Current situation:
The OpenSpot3 as of this post allows for "Power off if no charger is connected" which is something that I was excited to see.

Feature Request:
Allow for a configuration similar to "Power on if charger is connected" to allow the unit to power on when a charge is applied. Allowing the OpenSpot3 to act much like the OpenSpot2 if the operator chooses.

Thank you, for reading this feature request. I'm a big fan of the SharkRF products.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: OpenSpot3 Power on/off

Post by HA2NON »

If you enable the Power off if no charger is connected setting, then the OS3 will behave the same way as an OS2. Please read the description of the setting in the user manual at http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot3/en ... s-settings

"Enabling the Power off if no charger is connected setting is useful if the openSPOT3 is installed in a vehicle, as the device will follow the USB power status (it will turn off if USB power is lost and it will turn on if USB power is restored)."
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
BrianWGray

Post by BrianWGray »

Thank you, for the reply. I was obviously doing something wrong. I've confirmed that the o=OpenSpot3 is behaving as advertised. I'm not sure what I had experienced before that made me think that this feature wasn't already working. My apologies for wasting the thread and your time. _I had the option configured for one profile but when I switched profiles the option wasn't set, typical user error._
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Taking this one step further - If the OS3 powers down when when car power is shut off,
it would be nice to later be able to turn it back on manually under battery power
if you are no longer in the car.
As far as I can tell, the only way to get it back on in that mode is to connect
external power again.

Jerry
HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

I am very interested in the answer. Not home to test it.

I would hope the manual power on button still works. Did you test for this behavior?