Ethernet and/or Tethering

cyberjew

Ethernet and/or Tethering

Post by cyberjew »

I just wanted to make an official entry on the Feature Requests based on my thread on the General Discussions board.

Please provide support for a hardwired connection between the OS and the Internet connection - either Ethernet, Ethernet over USB, or support for tethering in a future product.

The fewer RF based connections the better!

Thank you,

-JeffH
HamScanMan

Re: Ethernet and/or Tethering

Post by HamScanMan »

I second that on Ethernet. Or, make a seperate model that is just Ehternet, not Wireless.
KB5SCW

Post by KB5SCW »

I'd also like to favorite/vote this request. I'd love to have a version of the OpenSpot that adds an Ethernet RJ45 connection.

I love my OpenSpot3 for mobile use and just in general. However, I'd also like a version that I can leave perpetually plugged into power and an Ethernet RJ45 connector. I'd be OK if the "ethernet" version was a different form-factor or a little bigger to accommodate a RJ45 jack.

My current hotspots are: 1). OpenSpot3 2) TGIFSpot w 3.5" Nexion Screen running Pi-Star.

I "Actually" like using my OpenSpot3 more; but have the TGIFSpot running perpetually at home....using a RJ45 connection.

Let me repeat: I LOVE MY OPENSPOT3 Much more! <3

Cheers and 73s
Will
VE3RWJ

Post by VE3RWJ »

Agreed! Wired connection is almost always better, especially if the Wi-Fi portion of the device is going to be 2.4GHz only.
Curious about cryptocurrency but don't want to invest any money? Pi is a cryptocurrency for everyday people. Here's 1π to get you started!😋 Just follow this link: https://minepi.com/ve3rwj Be sure to use my username (ve3rwj) as your invitation code.
KD2HYE

Post by KD2HYE »

The OpenSpot concept and software is incredible... though let down with the Wi-Fi adapter on the OpenSpot3 to be sub-optimal putting it kindly. I have a lot of interference in my apartment building and the connection is terrible even right next to an AP. I previously used a RaspberryPi and DVAP with Ethernet (and Wi-Fi) connection and it was solid.

I would like to see an option for either:
  • External antenna connector
  • Ethernet RJ45 port
  • Ethernet RJ45 port with PoE
Has anyone attempted to mod their OpenSpot to get a better Wi-Fi adapter or ethernet connection?
dgmaley

Post by dgmaley »

Suspect you get requests for both wireless and wired ports on an OS3.
Here is simply no room for a huge RJ-45 connector on such a device. You already do have a mini usb serial port but have not yet checked if there is a command line interface.
Suggest the easiest solution is to make available an adapter that will pull an IP and convert commands to serial to be sent along to the mini USB port. Configure the OS3 firmware to recognize this device.
There may already be such a device available that only requires your firmware to communicate.
Allow power to pass through the adapter to the OS3.
Good luck I enjoy using your device.
n8wxq

Post by n8wxq »

If you are having trouble with the WIFI connection be sure to select the proper channels. I believe these are 1, 3 and 11 (See the Manual )

The openspot3 wifi antenna could be replaced with a better one with some care. The antenna is a patch antenna that can be broken easily when opening the case. Don't do this without a replacement in hand. The antenna is attached with a u.fl connector so it is rather easy to replace. One could get a u.fl to SMA cable and attach a better antenna. Adding a better antenna would,however, likely reduce the portability of the openspot3 .

If you have friend with an openspot3 compare signal strengths under identical conditions. I had an openspot3 with a broken antenna probably caused by dropping the unit even the unit showed no other damage replacing the antenna fixed mine.
KD2HYE

Post by KD2HYE »

n8wxq wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:30 pm If you are having trouble with the WIFI connection be sure to select the proper channels. I believe these are 1, 3 and 11 (See the Manual )

The openspot3 wifi antenna could be replaced with a better one with some care. The antenna is a patch antenna that can be broken easily when opening the case. Don't do this without a replacement in hand. The antenna is attached with a u.fl connector so it is rather easy to replace. One could get a u.fl to SMA cable and attach a better antenna. Adding a better antenna would, however, likely reduce the portability of the openspot3 .

If you have friend with an openspot3 compare signal strengths under identical conditions. I had an openspot3 with a broken antenna probably caused by dropping the unit even the unit showed no other damage replacing the antenna fixed mine.
This is wonderful advice! I have ordered a 2.4ghz antenna and a SMA to u.fl cable.. I will pop the unit open on the weekend and add the bigger antenna.. given how terrible the signal is right next to a commercial grade AP I have a strong suspicion now the antenna may be defective... this unit never worked from the time I unboxed it.

Fingers crossed.. I will report back on my progress. Thank you again!