Switching profiles via analog DTMF

AE6DS

Switching profiles via analog DTMF

Post by AE6DS »

I love the OS3 and the cross mode features with Dstar. One thing I miss compared to pi-star is the ability to use different radios easily.

I use both DStar and C4FM radios and it would be useful to have a Null connector that allows changing via analog DTMF. I could then set the OS3 Change to Null connector after last call timeout and be able to jump to whatever connector was appropriate for the handheld I picked up.

Or I guess I could buy a second OS3. :-)

Dale
Dale
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Switching profiles via analog DTMF

Post by HA2NON »

Controlling the openSPOT3 using DTMF codes is already possible. Please see http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot3/en ... calls.html and also each connector's user manual page (for example http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot3/en ... ector.html).
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
AE6DS

Post by AE6DS »

I read those instructions. Maybe I am missing something, but that only works when the modem and the radio use the same mode. So if the Null connector modem is set for C4FM, there is no way to switch the profile using DTMF from a DStar handheld. I have two handhelds.

What I would like to accomplish is leaving the OS3 in a mode were I could grab either my DSTAR handheld or my C4FM handheld and then switch the OS3 into the profile with the correct mode from whichever handheld I was using. So the OS3 would either need to listen on both digital modes at the same time (like pi-star), or would need to listen in FM analog mode for DTMF.

If I've missed something obvious let me know. I am new to OpenSpot and may not be using the correct features.
Dale
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

If the modem is in C4FM mode, then it can only receive C4FM transmissions. DTMF is an in-band signalling method, it uses the same audio stream as your voice, so if you want to transmit DTMF to the openSPOT3, then you have to use the modem mode and transceiver it's modem is set to.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
AE6DS

Post by AE6DS »

That’s what I thought. So rewording the feature request: It would be desireable to have a way to switch OS3 profiles from an FM handheld without the modem already being in the correct mode. So someone with multiple Dstar/C4FM/DMR radios could remotely switch the modem into the correct mode for the handheld they are using.

That could be done by scanning multiple modes like pi-star. Or it could be done by decoding analog DTMF via fft when the modem is off. Or it could be thunking or pl tones or ???

For now the best solution looks like having one OS3 for each handheld flavor (in my case DStar and C4FM).
Dale
N1IG

Post by N1IG »

AE6DS wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:03 pm ...
For now the best solution looks like having one OS3 for each handheld flavor (in my case DStar and C4FM).
Or you could just use one handheld (D-Star) and use the cross-mode feature to access C4FM reflectors?
AE6DS

Post by AE6DS »

Or you could just use one handheld (D-Star) and use the cross-mode feature to access C4FM reflectors?
There are both DSTAR and C4FM repeaters along camping routes, so which radio is in shack near OS3 Hotspot and which goes on the road varies. Which is also why people have both flavors of handheld to begin with.

Basically I wish there was a Hotspot that had both the OS3 cross-mode AND the pi-star multi-mode.
Dale