OpenSpot3 can't receive my Kenwood THD-74

rsh8091

OpenSpot3 can't receive my Kenwood THD-74

Post by rsh8091 »

Hi all,

I have to say I'm pretty frustrated. I've been trying to get this working for several days. Note I'm totally blind so I can provide what info I can on lights, but please when you reply don't use screen shots ubt say what needs to be done in text. :) My call is AG5XY

So here is what works and what I've completed.

1. The Openspot is on my wifi.
2. I can hear communications (traffic on reflectors quite well.
3. I can hear announcement from the OpenSpot.
4. I have registered with DSTAR.
5. I changed the direct reply function on the radio to off.
6. I'm running in DV mode, not DR mode.

What doe snot work

1. I'm not sure of the steps for an echo test. I have put the 7 spaces in an E on my radio connected to Reflector 030 on the E module and can hear nothing back. This is concerning.
2. I can not be heard if I try to participate in a QSO.
3. When I transmit I'm told that there is no change in the lights on the device.

I'm not sure where to go next here folks. It's nice to have things set up, but not having the openspot hear your radio is concering.

Note I'm not sure how to make sure the radio is operating in single freq mode. I'm doing all of this from VFO on frequency 433.200 so presume it is.

Thanks,
Randy
Last edited by rsh8091 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rsh8091

Re: OpenSpot3 can't hear my Kenwood THD-74

Post by rsh8091 »

The first frustration is how do I get echo test working on DSTAR. How do I actually send to " E". It would make debugging so much much better if I knew the openspot3 was able to receive my radio at all.
N1IG

Re: OpenSpot3 can't receive my Kenwood THD-74

Post by N1IG »

I think you need to be in DR mode.
rsh8091

Post by rsh8091 »

going to pair with a friend today on getting things working in DR. Manual says to use DV so I've been trying that. Not successfully.
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

You could do worse than have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2zfYL ... RgQ/videos

Yes, I know it's video, but maybe together with your sighted friend you can use the information to your advantage.
Brian G8SEZ
N1IG

Post by N1IG »

Here are a few other videos that might help:

https://youtu.be/5wKbXw22tm4

https://youtu.be/TUBDn6FK5Bo
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

If you want to use a server's echo service, then keep the default URCALL of CQCQCQ on your transceiver, and set the remote module to E in the openSPOT. Make sure the server has an echo service (REF001 and REF030 do support this as they are classic Dplus servers).

If you want to use the openSPOT3's built-in local echo service, then set the URCALL in your transceiver to .......E (replace dots with spaces, so 7 spaces and an E).
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
rsh8091

Post by rsh8091 »

Thanks Norbert,

I can hear myself on the local echo service very well for the OpenSpot3, but when I try echo on both Ref030 and Ref001 (remote module set to E) I don't hear anything. The call log shows that the server is receiving my call sign, but there is obviously still something wrong. I've tried this with DV mode, URCALL set to CQ and local module d with no luck. Other ideas? I've also tried local module C. I'll work on getting DR mode set up as well.
HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR »

You are still doing something wrong. I just tried echo service on the REF001E module and it worked perfectly. My transceiver is an Icom ID-51 Plus2.
Attachments
REF001E dashboard.jpg
OS3 REF001E.jpg
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester
rsh8091

Post by rsh8091 »

I agree I'm doing something wrong. :) Thanks. What did you have local module on the openspot 3 set to I have remote module set to E for Ref001.