OS3 and TP-Link Archer A9 wifi issues

KB2NWQ

OS3 and TP-Link Archer A9 wifi issues

Post by KB2NWQ »

Hi,

I'm running an OS3 with the latest firmware, v41, and TP-Link Archer A9 and they're having major wifi issues between them. Here's the breakdown:

1. OS3 and Router worked great up until recently. Both have the latest firmware, but the router firmware was updated on 04-26-2020. The wifi issues between them started about three weeks ago (early November 2020). The issue is that when I key up my transceiver the OS3 disconnects then reconnects. If it stays connected, the dashboard shows two key up events although I'm still pressing the mic switch on any of the radios. Everyone makes the same comment, I only heard the first word and the rest of my audio drops out. This issue occurs with all three of my radios (IC-705, IC-7100, and rfinder b1). If I connect the OS3 to my cell phone wifi hotspot, the OS3 works perfectly.

2. I tried all of these suggestions, but no luck:

Try switching frequencies both on your transceiver and the OS3.
>> Tried and it didn't help.

- Try using a different server.
>> What does this mean? Which server?

- Place the openSPOT3 close to the Wi-Fi router.
>> Tried and it didn't help.

- Make sure the Wi-Fi bandwith is set to max. 20Mhz in the Wi-Fi router.
>> Tried and it didn't help. Still using this setting with no luck.

- If it still does not work, try switching Wi-Fi channel on your Wi-Fi router. Only channels 1, 6 or 11 should be used.
>> Tried and it didn't help. I also used a wifi analyzer to determine the best channel and channel 1 was the best option, but it didn't help.

3. If I use my Pi-Star D-Star and DMR hotspots, they work perfectly. I always power down my Pi-star hotspots and remove power before powering up the OS3.

Any ideas? Do I need a new router? Note, the wifi works great with all of my other wifi devices. It's just an issue with my OS3.

Thanks.
N1IG

Re: OS3 and TP-Link Archer A9 wifi issues

Post by N1IG »

- Try using a different server.

I think this means try using a different D-Star or DMR server, that you'd pick on the "Connectors" page
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 4.36.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 4.37.34 PM.png
HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR »

In the IP configuration section of the Openspot 3 network page, DNS1 server should be 8.8.8.8 and DNS2 server should be 8.8.4.4 and tick "override DHCP DNS server" option. Add the IP address of the Openspot 3 to the WIFI router address reservation list. This way the Openspot will always get the same IP address from the router.The WIFI security setting should be WPA / WPA2 Personal.
Last edited by HA5OGR on Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester
KB2NWQ

Post by KB2NWQ »

N1IG wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:37 pm - Try using a different server.

I think this means try using a different D-Star or DMR server, that you'd pick on the "Connectors" page

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 4.36.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 4.37.34 PM.png
I noticed that the default DMR server was Australia versus United States. Being that I’m in USA, I changed it to 3102 and hope that was the issue. Thanks.
KB2NWQ

Post by KB2NWQ »

HA5OGR wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:48 am In the IP configuration section of the Openspot 3 network page, DNS1 server should be 8.8.8.8 and DNS2 server should be 8.8.4.4 and tick "override DHCP DNS server" option. Add the IP address of the Openspot 3 to the WIFI router address reservation list. This way the Openspot will always get the same IP address from the router.The WIFI security setting should be WPA / WPA2 Personal.
All of the above done, thanks. Hopefully these fixes will do the trick.
HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR »

OK, I hope these settings solved your issue.
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester
KB2NWQ

Post by KB2NWQ »

Unfortunately, it still doesn’t work. Tried to have a QSO on Reflector 030C and it was a no go. I was able to talk for a few minutes until the other operator stated that they only heard every other syllable. The dashboard also shows two mic key ups while holding down the mic switch.
HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR »

Hmmmm ..... I think there is a problem with the REF030C server. A few minutes ago I had a failed connection with N8NQ Bob.
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester