Can't Connect OS3 to home modem. Please Help!

Cmoney

Can't Connect OS3 to home modem. Please Help!

Post by Cmoney »

Hi Everyone.

Very frustrated here. Just received a week ago my first ever hotspot (OS3).

I am able to use it without issue when using my cellphone as a hotspot but have yet to be able to use it at home with my netgear router.

This is what occurs when I try to use it on my home modem. I connect on my laptop (tried ipad as well same result) to OPENSPOT3. It connects. The software pops up and then asks me to choose country, then my wifi connection. I pick my wifi and type in the correct password (case sensitive of course). After anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute of my browser trying to load further, the OPENSPOT3 tab disappears and I get an error message saying "hmmm can't reach this page. openspot3.local server ip address could not be found"

I followed all of the trouble shooting guidelines. I have WPA encryption, 2.4GHz is enabled, the OS3 is close to the router, bandwidth is set to the max, and I'm using channel 11 (have tried channel 1 and 6 too)

Any suggestions please? I'm beyond frustrated. I know its a router issue because I am able to connect from my laptops/tablets using my cell phone.

If nothing else, can anyone suggest a different router to purchase that will be more compatible with my 0S3?

Thank you all so much!

Brandon
Tyrbiter

Re: Can't Connect OS3 to home modem. Please Help!

Post by Tyrbiter »

Try using sharkrf.link and typing in your device ID from the label under the OS3.
Brian G8SEZ
Cmoney

Post by Cmoney »

Tyrbiter wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:51 pm Try using sharkrf.link and typing in your device ID from the label under the OS3.
I’ve tried that. It doesn’t connect and eventually just time out.

Can anyone refer to me a specific router that generally has no issues with the OS3? I’m so frustrated at this point, I’ll gladly just buy a new router. Thank you.

Brandon
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

It is perfectly normal that your browser disconnects from the "openSPOT3 AP" Wi-Fi network after you've entered the Wi-Fi network key. What happens is the openSPOT3 stop's it's built-in Wi-Fi hotspot and starts connecting to the configured Wi-Fi network. What you should do is to connect your browser device (phone/tablet/computer) to the exact same network you've configured for the OS3 (your home network). If the OS3's status LED is green or green/yellow then you'll be able to use https://sharkrf.link/ to open the web interface.

What status LED color do you see when it is trying to connect to your home Wi-Fi network?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Cmoney

Post by Cmoney »

Hi there.

This is very frustrating. I have had the device several weeks and still can’t get it to work.

When I connect my OS to my laptop, after I put in my internet password my browser gives me an error message saying:
982511EC-197C-43EE-8AEF-25E7803A1A2A.jpeg
When I then type in www.sharkrf.link, the screen comes up where it asks me to enter the device UID. I do so and then my browser after a minute or so gives me the same error message.

The OS3 is blue when I try connecting, it briefly flashes red for about 10-15 seconds, then stays on blue. Please see photo.
982511EC-197C-43EE-8AEF-25E7803A1A2A.jpeg
Again, any help would be great because I have literally spend over 25 hours on this to no avail.

Thank you

Brandon
Attachments
646F84B7-9D13-4839-AF37-D681CDC900E8.jpeg
Cmoney

Post by Cmoney »

As I mentioned in my first post, this must be a router issue as I’m able to connect my laptops to the OS3 using my phones hotspot instead of my router.

Attachments
452F9ABA-13B5-4DA5-824A-87872E6FF6E0.jpeg
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Blue LED means the openSPOT3 is trying to connect to the configured Wi-Fi network.

Please do the following:

- You can reconfigure the Wi-Fi connection if you switch back the openSPOT3 to access point mode by pressing the Wi-Fi button for 3 seconds.
- The openSPOT3 will start broadcasting it's own Wi-Fi network called "openSPOT3 AP", indicated by white LED. You can connect to this network using your browser device (phone/tablet/computer).
- Make sure you place your phone/tablet/computer close to the openSPOT3 during this time.
- The initialization setup will pop up, where you can select the country of operation and configure a Wi-Fi network for the openSPOT3 to connect to. If the initialization setup does not show up automatically, then open http://192.168.99.1/ in the browser. This address is only active while the openSPOT3 is in AP mode, indicated by white status LED.
- Make sure you've entered the Wi-Fi password case sensitive.
- After you've chosen the Wi-Fi network and entered the password, the openSPOT3 stops broadcasting it's own Wi-Fi network and starts connecting to the selected network. At that moment, your browser device (phone/tablet/computer) will disconnect from the openSPOT3's network. What you have to do now is to connect to the exact same Wi-Fi network with your browser device as you've configured for the openSPOT3, and then use sharkrf.link to open the web interface.
- If you have WEP encryption on your router, then make sure the password is ASCII, not hex. The openSPOT3 only supports ASCII WEP passwords. The best is to switch the encryption to WPA2 or WPA because it's much safer.
- Make sure you have enabled 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, not just 5GHz.
- Place the openSPOT3 close to the Wi-Fi router.
- Make sure the Wi-Fi bandwith is set to max. 20Mhz in the Wi-Fi router (see explanation here: https://superuser.com/questions/542191/ ... less-speed)
- If it still does not work, try switching Wi-Fi channel on your Wi-Fi router. Only channels 1, 6 or 11 should be used (see explanation here: https://www.metageek.com/training/resou ... -6-11.html)
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team