DMR SMS on an Anytone 878UV

KD0LQD

DMR SMS on an Anytone 878UV

Post by KD0LQD »

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting the openSPOT3 to play with my Anytone 878UV in regards to DMR SMS messaging.

openSPOT3
Hardware:V1.0
Firmware:V53
Bootloader:V13

Anytone
Firmware:V1.22

I've read several forums on how to get SMS up and going on an Anytone 878UV. These are the things I've done so far.
  • Went to BrandMeister and did the selfcare to set my radio type to Motorola.
  • Made sure the Anyone was set to Motorola SMS.
  • Went to the openSPOT3 DMR SMS CHAT page and set my source ID to my DMR ID.
  • Setup my SMS settings via 262995 to, Active SMS: SHORT SMS Delay: 10.0 sec.
I've seen on another forum on SharkRF that the "handle messages to/from source id" needs to be checked and the DMR ID for the source and on the radio need to be different. I'm not for sure what the source in the openSPOT3 needs to be set to. When I try to change it, I get mixed results with trying to send SMS with the openSPOT3 DMR SMS Chat and it generally doesn't work and shows on the status page of trying to send/receive to 0.

When I use the openSPOT3 with my DMR ID in source and the "handle messages" box checked, it works and I can send a simple WX to 262993 with the openSPOT3's DMR SMS Chat window and get a response with the weather report.

When I try unchecking the "handle messages" box and send an SMS with my radio, the openSPOT3 receives the MSG from the radio and forwards the message to the BrandMeister network fine. When I get the response from the network comes the problem. The openSPOT3 transmits the response from the network to my radio and my radio does show receiving, but an SMS never comes through on the radio. I thought this could be to an issue with the type of SMS format being used by the openSPOT3 and an incompatibility with the Anytone radio. I also thought that maybe the contact "262995" needed to be setup in my radio as a contact or a TG for my radio to "let it through". This reason stems from needing to setup a "receive group call list" with the openSPOT3's TG 9 so that I can hear the reports on my radio no matter what "channel" I'm on with my radio. Also to check the IP address and battery status of the openSPOT3 with just a call to that TG on my radio :). I did try setting up the 262995 on my radio as a digital contact and as a TG with no change.

I enjoy using the DMR SMS on the openSPOT3's DMR SMS chat, but would love to get this issue figured out.

Thanks in advance for help getting this going!

James Andrasek
KD0LQD
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: DMR SMS on an Anytone 878UV

Post by HA2NON »

If you enable the Handle messages to/from source ID setting, then the openSPOT3 will capture incoming messages and won't forward it to your transceiver.

Try setting different message protocols in the transceiver if you can.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
martinfab

Post by martinfab »

When you get this figured out please post the settings and solution. Thanks, KJ7PRS
KD0LQD

Post by KD0LQD »

HA2NON wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:02 pm If you enable the Handle messages to/from source ID setting, then the openSPOT3 will capture incoming messages and won't forward it to your transceiver.

Try setting different message protocols in the transceiver if you can.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm trying to get the openSPOT3 to forward the messages to my transceiver though. Also, I've tried the; Motorola, Hytera, and standard ETSI settings on the transceiver and it makes no difference. It's frustrating, because other than this issue, the openSPOT3 is working perfectly with APRS, POCSAG, etc...

KD0LQD
EI3HIB

Post by EI3HIB »

Hi KD0LQD,

I've encountered the same/similar problem with the openSPOT1 - I can send messages from my HT to Brandmeister via the hotspot, if I switch message intercept on - I can see the messages coming back successfully from Brandmeister to the hotspot.

The problem is when I turn intercept off and the openSPOT tries to transmit the messages - there's some kind of problem with the preamble/headers, so the radio never knows that the message is addressed to it.

Attached are two images, one showing when an "ECHO" message is send from the HT to Brandmeister - and the reply fails to get to the HT, the other image shows the successful test of sending a message to local hotspot echo on 9999.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I notice the failure involves a 3/4 data rate and the successes are at 1/2 data rate.

I captured this data using DSDPlus.

73 de EI3HIB
Attachments
sms-success.JPG
sms-fail.JPG