cant connect with openspot3

Jerry

Re: cant connect with openspot3

Post by Jerry »

I have had problems with the OS3 connecting to my router also.
I found if I plug it in and let it sit, the connection will be made
after about 8 minutes or so. Once connected, it seems to stay connected
and functions properly. It never used to do this but it does now.

Jerry
Fusion2u

Post by Fusion2u »

Thanks Jerry for your suggestion. Mine will connect to the router but then it just sits there slowly flashing green and amber. I cant connect to it using iMac, windows laptop, iPhone and a android tablet. All of them are connected to the same WIFI. I have even driven away from my home and with a MIFI card I can have it connect to it and my iPhone is connected to the MIFI card but still cant log into the unit. Very frustrating and as you know the Openspot3 was not cheap. I would pay to ship it back to SharkRF to have them look at it but they have not offered that option to me. Looking at the some of the post about connections that some are having makes me wonder if there are issues with some of the units and firmware upgrades. It could be as simple as the upgrade was corrupted when the unit was downloading it, which after the last update it was working fine until I turned it off. When I turned it back on a few days later thats when all the problems popped up. I have tried the manual firmware upgrade several times as recommended by HA2NON and it has not helped. Sorry about the long reply and hope you don't have this issue pop up. 73's and have a great day.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Green and orange/amber status LED means the openSPOT3 is connected to the configured Wi-Fi network, and standing by. If both https://sharkrf.link and http://openspot3.local/ do not work then probably the Wi-Fi client isolation is enabled on the Wi-Fi router. This needs to be turned off.

Also make sure your OS3 is running the latest firmware v55. You can do a manual firmware upgrade by following the steps described in the user manual at https://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot3/e ... e-firmware ("I want to manually upgrade the firmware" section).
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I think I may have found a work-around for my OS3 having difficulty connecting to my router.
This morning, again, I had great difficulty connecting to my router. It took about
30 minutes before it locked up.
Even though the OS3 does not require port forwarding, I was wondering if I set up
a port forward in my router to the OS3, would that create some type of link to allow a
connection?
I randomly picked a port to forward, set it up in the router, and now the on initial tests,
the OS3 connects up instantly. I guess we will see if it lasts, but so far so good.

Jerry
mesb

Post by mesb »

In my case device shows green/yellow, but wasn't available. It even tried to connect to my router (router log and dhcp log). The only way for me was disable 40 MHz WiFi option.
Fusion2u

Post by Fusion2u »

Norbert Varga, I appreciate you replying but your just sending the same suggesting that you have sent before, actually its a cut and paste of what you sent before. I don't know why you are not reading what I am saying. There is no such thing as WIFi client isolation on a APPLE WIFI ROUTER, I even called Apple and even went to a Apple store and talked with one of the techs there. They advised that feature is not on a APPLE WIFI ROUTER, with that said I even drove several miles away from my home and used my portable mobile wifi card, still the same problem, Green and Amber lights flashing . There is no WIFi client isolation on the wifi card. Finally why would the openSPOT3 stop working after working with no problem for the last 2 years and it had every firmware update that was pushed out completed. After the last firmware that was pushed out i used the unit but did not try to connect to t. The only time I can connect to the unit is when i get in to place it on the wifi network available. After that i cant connect to it. I have been away for awhile but when I got back home and turned it on the green and amber problem and cant connect to it appeared. I have done the manual firmware upgrade several times and still it does not work. I would pay to ship it to SharkRF so someone there could at least analyze the unit. Right now i have a pretty expensive white puck that flashes green and amber.... not real happy about that.
Fusion2u

Post by Fusion2u »

So it appears there is no help with this issue on the Openspot3 I have, Its a shame as I really liked the unit and you would think that SharkRF would want to examine this unit and isee f it was a part that failed, the unit is beyond its warranty period but i would pay to have it fixed. But the same response from them is crazy, its like they don't read what your telling them. So if you find yourself with the problem where all your Openspot3 does is flash green and amber and you cant connect to it you might as well throw it in the trash, your not going to get any support from SharkRF and I am telling my ham friends in my area to stay away from this expensive unit, not worth it.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Green and orange/amber status LED means the openSPOT3 is connected to the configured Wi-Fi network, and standing by. There's no issue with your openSPOT3 hardware as it is connected to the Wi-Fi network. Check your router's settings if you can't open it's web interface. Probably the Wi-Fi client isolation setting is preventing your browser to access the openSPOT3.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Fusion2u

Post by Fusion2u »

OMG, have you read anything of what i have said in the last several post when you keep saying Wi-Fi client isolation setting is preventing your browser to access the openSPOT3. ITS AN APPLE WIFI ROUTER, IT DOES NOT HAVE IT CLIENT ISOLATION SETTINGS, ONLY PASSWORD PROTECTED AND THATS CORRECT AS THE OPENSPOT3 IS CONNECTED TO THE WIFI !!!!!! . The open spot has worked with the same Apple router for the last 2 years right up until it did its last upgrade. It does the same when i have it connect to my portably wifi that is has used also for the last 2 years!!!!! I have done the manual update so many times I can do it in my sleep!!!! So theres only 2 things i feel that can be done, 1. is there a way to completely wipe this open spot where it is reset to factory 2. is it possible that there is a component that has failed and yes its out of warranty and as I said before I would pay to ship it and have it fixed.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

You can do a factory reset on the openSPOT3. The process is described in the user manual: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot3/en ... l#page-top
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team