Issues with DMR reporting as not connected

W2GLD

Issues with DMR reporting as not connected

Post by W2GLD »

I've noticed an issue over the past few days that when I am connected to a BrandMeister DMR server, in this case 3108 in the US, after a period of time the OS3 reports disconnected for no reason even though traffic is still coming though and this happens with today's firmware release as well. Has anyone else seen strange issues with DMR connectivity? BTW, I have two OS3 and both exhibit the same issue. Note, I've tried several BrandMeister servers as well and it's possible this is an issue on their end as well, just curious what others are experiencing.

Jerry, W2GLD
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Issues with DMR reporting as not connected

Post by HA2NON »

Where do you see/hear that it is disconnected?
What do you see in the device log when this happens?
Do you see a status LED color change?
How long do you hear/see new calls coming after the OS3 reports it is disconnected?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

On the OS3 dashboard (i.e. status screen), the talk group and master server information disappears completely but I am still receiving audio on occasion. I would post a screenshot here, but it appears I cannot upload an image.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Do you mean the linked talkgroup list becomes empty?

Reflector/talkgroup linking is done entirely by the server/network, not the openSPOT3. The linked talkgroup list is downloaded directly from the BrandMeister API server by your browser. Sometimes the API server does not report actual information. You can check what the API server reports using this URL: https://api.brandmeister.network/v1.0/r ... &q=2161005 (replace 2161005 with your DMR ID)

Note that this does not mean that the openSPOT3 is disconnected.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

Norbert, it seems with the last two betas,this issue has returned once again; both openSPOT3's running the latest BETA are loosing connectivity to everything, DMR, D-Star, Fusion; reporting disconnected and then internet unreachable for several minutes. Once they reconnected, they appear to stay online for about 15-30 minutes, but as soon as high traffic is received from the remote side, they reset again, and again, and again... I had not issues up until these last two BETA's were pushed over the past few days. Now the openSPOT3's are unusably once again due to their unreliability with connections. I run several Pi-Star devices that do not, nor have ever had this issue.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Your issue is unrelated to the firmware upgrades. We only changed the Wires-X button command handling and DMR CSBK forwarding. https://www.sharkrf.com/products/openspot3/changelog/

- Place the openSPOT3 close to the Wi-Fi router.
- Make sure the Wi-Fi bandwith is set to max. 20Mhz in the Wi-Fi router (see explanation here: https://superuser.com/questions/542191/ ... less-speed)
- If it still does not work, try switching Wi-Fi channel on your Wi-Fi router. Only channels 1, 6 or 11 should be used (see explanation here: https://www.metageek.com/training/resou ... -6-11.html)
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
n6cid

Post by n6cid »

Jerry, just in case you didn't know the BM server 3108 is no longer usable with any hot spot. The last I heard from the admins 3108 is going away permanently once they are able to move all the repeaters over to 3101. 3102 & 3103.

Hope this helps...:)
W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

Norbert, this IS NOT a WiFi issue in my network! I am using Ubiquity UniFi equipment, I have 3 access points covering my property and no other WiFi devices report poor signal quality or have persistent disconnects like the openSPOT3’s are experiencing. And again, all was working until the beta pushed the other day. Also, this is not limited to DMR, and the master in use for DMR is 3102 with 3101 as the back.

As I type this note, the openSPOT3’s have lost internet connectivity three times where all other devices have been fine. I have two openSPOT3’s and both have the exact same issue and are located at different ends of the house; one is sitting directly next to (on the same shelf) as a WiFi access point, so your comment Norbert about moving closer to the access point is not valid.

Why does the openSPOT3’s have such an issue with WiFi dropping and why does it always appear to be tied to firmware updates?

I primarily am using them (at least trying to) in D-Star cross-mode to DMR BrandMeister, but if this is going to continue to be an issue, I’m going to have to return them and just go back to using Pi-Star as they are completely unreliable in this setup.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

Reviewing the Ubiquity UniFi logs, both openSPOT3’s report high WiFi reconnection attempts, the only devices within my network that are reporting this. It seems they are getting interference internally, which is causing them to drop on and off WiFi. This is an openSPOT3 firmware or hardware issue.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

What status LED color do you see on the device when this happens?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team