Openspot 3 to Iphone

scooby71

Openspot 3 to Iphone

Post by scooby71 »

This is driving me mad trying to connect to my phone outside as a mobile hotspot this is what I have done
1: put my details of my phone with password in the settings of OS 3 click save
2: disconnect my WiFi from the house
3: put my iPhone as a hotspot on
4: switch on the openspot switch to Ap mode
5: hit WiFi on phone will find openspot ap3 click that
6: will go to login page hit country
7: scan for devices this is where it all ends does not find my phone
Can anyone help me out if I haven’t followed it correctly

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Openspot 3 to Iphone

Post by HA2NON »

Here's a quick tip on setting up the OS3 both for home and phone Wi-Fi connections:

Go to the Network page, Wireless settings section on the OS3 web interface. Make sure Advanced mode is turned on (there's a checkbox for that at the bottom right of the web interface). Set your home Wi-Fi as SSID #1 (and key) and your phone's Wi-Fi as SSID #2 (and key). If your home Wi-Fi (SSID #1) is not reachable then the openSPOT3 will automatically try to connect to your phone's Wi-Fi (SSID #2).

Make sure you enter passwords case sensitive.

If you use an iPhone then:

- Make sure you use the Save button at the Wireless scan list to save the iPhone's Wi-Fi network to SSID #2 as it contains a special apostrophe character which you can't enter using your keyboard
- Make sure you keep the iPhone's Wi-Fi hotspot settings page open while doing a wireless scan on the openSPOT3, because the iPhone only broadcasts it's Wi-Fi network name if that page is kept open on the phone
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

scooby71

Post by scooby71 »

I have done all you have said but I still can’t connect to my iPhone mobile this is driving me mad any ideas

anndel

Post by anndel »

I have the same issue and here's my experience with the OS3 and iPhone 7:

I've set the wireless scan #1 to the home wi-fi and the phone to #2. Make sure the SSID and password are correct, e.g., case sensitive and space (I have a space in the SSID). I have the OS3 on and connected to the home wi-fi then pack it into my truck with the iPhone personal hotspot turned on (the wifi has to be on as well). I drive away and the OS3 disconnects from the home wi-fi and the led is blinking blue searching for #2. Most times after a few seconds it'll connect but sometimes, it won't so I turn off the personal hotspot, wait a few seconds then turn it back on. Sometimes the robust SSID broadcast is required to connect to the iPhone. Also with Verizon wireless, I have unlimited data but if usage reaches 20GB, Verizon will throttle and give priority to users with less GB and the OS3 won't connect for a while. Good luck. After my iphone 7 dies I may go with a Samsung S20 and I have a S5 before and it worked great until it died.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

scooby71 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:48 pm
I have done all you have said but I still can’t connect to my iPhone mobile this is driving me mad any ideas
What LED color do you see on the device?
Have you entered the SSID and key of your iPhone into SSID #2 and key #2 at the Wireless settings?
Does your iPhone has a special apostrophe character in it's name? (like John's iPhone)
Have you tried turning the iPhone Wi-Fi hotspot feature on and off?
SharkRF Team

scooby71

Post by scooby71 »

Thanks for the reply’s yes I have entered the name in as my call sign and password correctly and did the wireless scan and my phones comes up so I save it
This next bit could be correct or not I put the OS into ap mode so it’s flashing slowly blue colour I put the phone into hotspot mode finds OS I click it comes up ticked jumps to OS menu with with country to select hit UK does a scan does not find phone keep trying it but no luck

AI4LL

Post by AI4LL »

I have the same problem with my OS3 and IPhone 11. Sometimes it will connect, but it takes a long time for it to connect. The main reason I purchased the open spot 3 was used it while mobile with IPhone Hotspot.
Jack/AI4LL

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

The iPhone's Wi-Fi hotspot does not work while it is connected to a Wi-Fi network (this means the iPhone's Wi-Fi hotspot does not work while it is connected to the openSPOT3's Wi-Fi network when the OS3 is in AP mode). You have to save the iPhone's Wi-Fi network manually by clicking on the Manual connect button at the Wireless scan list, or save your home and iPhone Wi-Fi to slots #1 and #2 as mentioned earlier.
SharkRF Team

n3ffr

Post by n3ffr »

I am having the same trouble with connecting openspot 3 to android Samsung j3. I am visually impaired and reading confusing instructions makes me very frustrated. I have tried and tried. The phone picks up the openspot 3 on wi-fi and I can enter the country but the next screen does not respond. Big question. The phones hospot is how I will connect to the internet but if
the phone is in wi-fi mode the hotspot will not come on until wi-fi is turned off. Head bang. How do I get passed this situation? Thank you.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

If you only want to use a phone to connect the OS3 to it, and the phone's hotspot Wi-Fi network does not show up in the wireless scan list, then you have to click on the Manual connect button on the second page of the initialization setup, and manually enter the Wi-Fi network name and key of your phone's hotspot Wi-Fi network.

However, the easiest way to set this up is this:

- Connect the OS3 to your home Wi-Fi network
- Open the web interface using sharkrf.link, then go to the Network page, Wireless settings section
- Set your home Wi-Fi SSID and key as SSID#1
- Set your phone's hotspot Wi-Fi SSID and key as SSID#2
- Click on the Save button at the Wireless settings section

Now your OS3 will automatically connect to your home network, or if it can't connect to it, it will try connecting to your phone's Wi-Fi network.
SharkRF Team