Major WiFi Connectivity Issues with each Beta FW

W2GLD

Major WiFi Connectivity Issues with each Beta FW

Post by W2GLD »

Updated to v15, then v16 and v17, I have two OS3's that are constantly resetting and indicating "internet unreachable" and then they work and then the reset and no longer work. LED's are flashing Yellow, then Blue, sometimes Red; if I completely reset the units to factory, they seem fine until the next firmware update and then again they're crashing. What gives? I've never had any issues with openSPOT's in the past from the OS1 to the OS2, now these devices have been nothing but trouble since day one with intermittent connections and now this resetting issue.

I am having no network issues or any other Pi-Star hotspot connectivity issues or issues did I ever have these issues with the previous OS2's I just sold. I am well versed in networking and LAN/WAN technologies, so please don't tell me this is a router or network issue as I have tested the EXACT same scenario on multiple networks over the past few days including cellular devices; this is isolated to the OS3's and I am about to be done with these devices at this point. I can't even roll back to older firmware; what's the deal with that?

Looking through my notes, this issue has been occurring in each release since v11, just FYI...
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Major WiFi Connectivity Issues with each Beta FW

Post by HA2NON »

Have you tried using another server? The currently used one may have issues as indicated by the LED state you've described, as yellow/blue LED means the OS3 is connected to your Wi-Fi network (it does not mean any Wi-Fi issue), and it is trying to connect to the configured server.

If the LED is red, then the OS3 is transmitting a voice announcement which you can hear on your radio (this happens when the OS3 is trying to connect to the configured server).

Can you please tell us what do you mean by "resetting"? Do you mean that the devices reboot (indicated by uptime resetting)?
What do you mean by "no longer work"? Do you mean that they suddenly turn off and you see dark LEDs and then you have to power them up by pressing the power button?
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

The server DOES NOT appear to be the issue as it happens regardless of what mode is being used (i.e. D-Star, C4FM, DMR, P25, etc.)

The device powers up, says "openSPOT Profile 1 Ready" followed by "Connected to xyz" after a few minutes it says "openSPOT disconnected" then "openSPOT internet unreachable" and I cannot connect to the device unless I reboot it manually or wait until the device decides to reconnect to my network, which could be 5 minutes, 10 minutes, sometimes never. Resetting the device to factory seemed to correct this issue until v17 BETA, now the device, which I have since reset, is resetting the webUI while trying to download the callsign database; this is in the factory settings with just my call sign information entered. I have two of these devices, both are on different networks and exhibiting the same issue as they have been since v11 BETA FW release. Again, I never had this issue with two different openSPOT2's on these same networks and no other devices on the network are encountering such issues and looking at my firewall and router details; there are no issues on my network side whatsoever. Again, I also tried on a cellular network using a Verizon JetPack on LTE, same exact issues with a default, unrestricted network as well. Is there a way to revert the firmware back to v10, which appeared to be stable? If not, we need a fix to this A.S.A.P., otherwise these devices are essentially useless at this point as they will not remain connected at all. Also, the color LED's as I mentioned also flickers red in that sequence; I'm not sure the LED's are 100% representative of all that is going on with the device; but you guys would know best; I can only report what I am seeing/experiencing.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Please send us your exported configuration profile file to info@sharkrf.com and we'll check your settings. Please refer to this forum thread in your email.
SharkRF Team

W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

I will grab this from both devices, the one I reset and the one I left in broken state. Also, for additional troubleshooting, I should note this issue occurs primarily when the units are left plugged in to the charger for extended time. The one I just reset this AM seems to be now working while running on battery but I won't know if it's a problem until the next BETA FW update. Expect the files here in a few moments.

Also, another thing to note, not all the settings are resetting on a factory reset. For example, the DMR master servers, my call sign and so-forth under the C4FM to BrandMeister DMR area did not reset after several factory resets, but other profiles and so-forth did; perhaps an area of memory is not being cleared correctly as part of the FW update process and/or factory reset procedure.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Some settings are filled by your browser even if they are not stored in the openSPOT3.
SharkRF Team

W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

Okay thanks, I'll test that with a clean VM's browser; I though that was odd since I hadn't seen that previously.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008

W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

Files emailed a few moments ago. Thanks for the quick response and involvement in the forums Norbert; the one thing I absolutely love about the openSPOT product has been the active responsiveness from the development team.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008

W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

Norbert, in reviewing the configuration files I sent you, please note the DMR ID's are not duplicated usually, I do use SSID amendments for each OS3 (example OS3a = 01 & OS3b = 02), you will see that's in error in today reset configuration and I have since corrected it; however, that would only affect DMR connectivity to the master; just wanted to point that out as not being the issue.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008

W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

Update, after running on battery all day and then reconnecting both units to the chargers; they will no longer stay connected and I cannot connect to either units WebUI once again. Both units as I said are running v17 firmware; the only way to recover them is to factory reset them yet again; for now, I am putting them aside as they are useless at the present time; I continue to use my pi-star hotspots on the same networks without issue. This is very sad, I had hoped better for the OS3 devices; makes me wish I had not sold my OS2 models. Norbert, please let me know what (if anything) you find from those configuration files I sent you.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008