Battery Level Drained for no reason

Michaelnstl

Battery Level Drained for no reason

Post by Michaelnstl »

Woke up this morning to the red light flashing on the OS3. The battery was at 30% and is slow charging. It has been hooked up to the exact same place since I received it (a month ago) and never had this. Is this some sort of battery conditioning thing? We did not have a power outage last night either.

Michael

Michaelnstl

Re: Battery Level Drained for no reason

Post by Michaelnstl »

And it seems the battery power is going down as it charges. It just notified me the battery level is low (now down to 28%).

I have unplugged and replugged in the cable.

M

Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

Apparently slow charging does not provide sufficient current to run the electronics and to charge the battery.
Brian

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Tyrbiter is right.

Slow charging does not supply enough power for the openSPOT3 to operate, so it will drain the battery while the openSPOT3 is turned on. Make sure the charge speed is normal or fast: use the supplied wall charge adapter, or connect the openSPOT3 to a standard USB port of a computer, also try flipping the USB-C connector of the cable upside down. Also make sure you use the supplied USB cable, or another one which is good quality, otherwise the charge speed will be slow.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

Michaelnstl

Post by Michaelnstl »

Strange that this happened for the first time last night when NOTHING has been changed.

I dont see in the interface or in the menu anywhere to change the charge speed from slow to normal or fast. I only see the option of "Disable Fast Battery Charging".

I am on Firmware version v12 and boot loader version v13.

I also power cycled the open spot and now it has charged up to 45%. Sounds like there is a bug somewhere.

Michael

Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

Michaelnstl wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:06 pm
Strange that this happened for the first time last night when NOTHING has been changed.

I dont see in the interface or in the menu anywhere to change the charge speed from slow to normal or fast. I only see the option of "Disable Fast Battery Charging".

I am on Firmware version v12 and boot loader version v13.

I also power cycled the open spot and now it has charged up to 45%. Sounds like there is a bug somewhere.

Michael
It's a software-driven device, and folklore says that there's always one more bug ;-)

I reckon that you should keep an eye on it until you have updated to the soon-to-be-released v17 and power cycled the openSPOT. Occasionally such a bug can happen when a device is not power-cycled and its state is not reset after an upgrade.
Brian

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Charge speed is determined by the USB host, or if there's no host available (this means that you've connected a wall wart) then the OS3 detects the max. current the charger can provide.

If you use the OS3 which is connected to a host (example: a computer) and reboot it (or your reboot the OS3), then the charge speed can change. Also the host can change the charge speed on it's own without any interaction.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team