OpenSpot - Announcing "Connecting to....." on Reflector?

HamScanMan

OpenSpot - Announcing "Connecting to....." on Reflector?

Post by HamScanMan »

Hello:
I had a report that my OS2 and OS3 connected to UK CQ reflector last night caused an issue with repeated "Connected To" voice announcements for hours. The Reflector owner blocked my IP and I have responded to him first thing this morning. The reflector is YSF.

Question - When an Openspot joins a reflector, does it do a voice announcement each time that is transmitted to everyone connected. My spots (OS1, OS2 and OS3's have been in use 24/7 for years and its the first time I have been told this. I am also blocked from the reflector which seems to impact other UK repeaters too. I had two OpenSpots (an OS2 and OS3) connected to the same reflector, not by choice, different names that resolve to the same reflector unknown to me. I don't know if that caused a problem, Admin of reflector not cooperative and just blames openspots.

Both of the Openspots are connected to other reflectors now, have been for 14 hours, no configuration change and no issues.

Questions for the experts:
1) Does the voice announcement from the Openspot extend to the reflector users?
2) Would having two Openspots connected to the same repeater cause the issue?
3) Do you folk turn off the voice announcements?

Any help welcomed.
Last edited by HamScanMan on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

HamScanMan

Re: OpenSpot - Announcing "Connecting to....." on Reflector?

Post by HamScanMan »

Here is the report from the reflector Admin -

Admin Ernie stated "For hours your openspot kept on transmitting, openspot connecting to ysf14073. No one else could talk for it. So I had to block you getting in. CQ-UK is a busy room and we do not tolerate things like that. You can disable the feed back from the openspot."

UK-CQ 14073 was the reflector.
Last edited by HamScanMan on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

Hello:
Looks like whatever my friend in Scotland has done, is blocking me from many of the UK/GB reflectors. I seems to get this message in the OS log - wiresxtracker: sending disconnect.

Anyone got any ideas how to undo this mess?

The Admin is far from cooperative blaming the Openspot device and not willing to undo the block. I have offered to test, make changes, and he is simply being uncooperative.

Admin email is erniepratt@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for reading...

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

The openSPOT does not transmit voice announcements to the network. It only transmits through it's modem. Probably one of your other hotspots are on the same frequency, or set to a frequency close enough to pick up the transmission.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

I did have two openspots connecting to the same reflector. They are 6mhz apart and about 4 meters distance.

Thanks for confirming that the OS will not TX on frequency.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

I wrote that the openSPOT3 does not send voice announcements to the network, and it only sends voice announcements through it's modem. I did not write that it does not transmit on frequency. The openSPOT3's TCXO is factory calibrated by us during manufacturing, and has a stability of 0.5ppm, so it is transmitting on the exactly set frequency.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

It was not my intent to say your OS transmits off frequency. I check and recheck each device with a calibrated frequency counter. They are all close enough.

Your first suggestion made me check the two openspots again.I keep the setup details of each openspot documented for my reference and convenience. All frequencys are carefully assigned and spread with good space between.

My one mistake was to leave the one of the openspots on the default frequency. I knew this and it was documented. The root cause, I beleive to be another Openspot shifted to the default frequency. Not sure how, manually by me, a reset some how, no clue, but it changed.

The put the voice announcement from one openspot on the input of another openspot and therefore transmitted on a reflector for hours! At least this is my only theory on what happened. If correct, the lesson learned here is to never leave any of your openspots on the default frequency in case another is changed to that same default frequency.

Again, all this is theory but the reflector owner heard my openspot transmitting its voice announcements.

Done, closed... Now I need to sell of a few Openspots, I have too many.