OpenSpot 3 No Signs of Life

n6rfi

OpenSpot 3 No Signs of Life

Post by n6rfi »

My one month old OpenSpot 3 is completely unresponsive. Attempted multiple power sources, tried to charge battery, etc. Nothing. Reset attempts ( > 30 secs on WiFi button) have no apparent benefit.

Pressing power button for 7 seconds or longer is not successful either. I tried that both tethered to power and un-tethered.

It worked Thursday. Dead on Friday.

Thoughts? Ideas?
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: OpenSpot 3 No Signs of Life

Post by HA2NON »

Do you see any LED light up on the device while pressing the power button?

Also, please try the following:

- Plug the openSPOT3 using a USB cable into the computer
- Press and hold both buttons on the openSPOT3 for at least 10 seconds

Does the status LED become steady white?

Release both buttons. The LED should become yellow and a flash drive should appear on your computer called BOOTLOADER. Do you see this drive on the computer?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
n6rfi

Post by n6rfi »

As noted in an email conversation with SharkRF support, and shared here in case anyone else has similar trouble:

None of those steps worked. I purchased new USB C cables and still no success, whether I'm tethered to the computer or to the power supply. The OS 3 is completely unresponsive.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

We wrote another email to you just now.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
n6rfi

Post by n6rfi »

Thank you.

The battery connector was in fact loose. An almost imperceptible touch restored the connection and the device came to life. There was no apparent movement of the connector. Everything is working well for now, although now I am concerned about a bad solder joint or other issue I cannot see. Hopefully this will be reliable.
HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

N6RFI - Thank you for sharing the details of the issue and fix. So many times these threads end in an "email sent" by the SharkRF team. Its very flustrating and I wonder why they cannot be more open about issues, cause and resolve.

HA2NON - A suggestion for you and your team. When a customer has an issue with a device which was posted to the forum and you have engaged on troubleshooting steps, please don't terminate the continuity of the thread by taking it into email with the customer. You need to be open and honest in disclosure of issues which will help the community of OpenSpot owners be more self supporting. It really is frustrating to see threads end in "We sent you and email".

Thank you and please reply, we are interested in your opinion.
HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

Seems to be a trend - Loose batteries. I noted, no reply. Being open and honest about issues is a good thing. Hopefully the community will continue to share experiences.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

We only know about 2 cases of loose batteries.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
digitalvoice

Post by digitalvoice »

2 Loose batteries and HamScanMan thinks he can tell a corporation how to run their business. Hahahahaha!!
N6ATC

Post by N6ATC »

HamScanMan - I'm wondering...

You're an actual openSPOT owner? I've noticed you have at least one, an openSPOT3.

I own an openSPOT2 and openSPOT3 and love them both. I wouldn't own anything else, to be honest. I'm perfectly happy with ALL ASPECTS of both of them.

If you aren't totally satisfied with yours, maybe I could buy it from you? You sound kinda less than happy in the openSPOT ecosphere.