OS3 Audio Stream Mute - Not working

KD6QFO

OS3 Audio Stream Mute - Not working

Post by KD6QFO »

Firmware V31 but issue has happened in prior versions.

When I select audio streaming from the web interface, it works (when very close to Access Point). If I mute and unmute, Audio stops. Get no control. Also had it stuck on streaming and could not mute. Have to refresh browser.

Seems that hitting mute while streaming audio breaks it. hitting mut again to unmute does not work Have to restart browser.

Audio also gets completely out of sync Many seconds, 20-30 in some cases. Have to restart browser session.

Mac - Edge Cromium. Same on Safari.

Windows - Chrome and Edge, same.

Also have to have OS3 very close to WiFi AP for it to work at all. Very poor WiFi.
KD6QFO

Re: OS3 Audio Stream Mute - Not working

Post by KD6QFO »

Hours more of testing and I have the following date. Summary - Audio PLayback from the OS3 V31 (same with older firmware) via a browser is poorly implemented and needs work. Would be a great feature if reliable.

Testing performed on Mac and Windows 10 PC with different browsers.The symptoms are very similar across all browsers with the exception of Safari on the Mac.

Mac Safari - Slow to open interface, 40 + seconds consistantly. Interface seems to crash (not the OS3 device) after about 2 minutes of just watching the Status display. Refreshing browser gets it going again. When using the playback audio feature, it works to start but if you mute, you get a brief interuption on the transmitted audio and unmuting does not work, you have to refresh browser.

Mac and Windows - Edge Chromium and Google Chrome - Turning on audio dstream causes brief interuption on transmitted audio. Muting stops Audio playback in the broswer. Unmuting does not play audio again or if it does, its 30+ seconds later and out of sync.

I feel like an unpaid Beta tester like I did with OS1, OS2 and now OS3 :(
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

I am using an OS3 with v31 firmware and currently it is connected to the REF001C DStar mega-repeater.

The WiFi performance is much better than the OS2 due to the use of an external patch antenna instead of the on-module antenna in the OS2.

I wonder if you are suffering from interference in the 2.4GHz ISM band, at one time I found my OS2 was fairly poor when too far from my APs but moving it into the room with the main AP has fixed that completely.

I mainly use Firefox 78.0.2 on Fedora Linux 32 64-bit. I also use both FF and Chrome on Windows 10 and on Android 10, they all work in a very similar way.

Usually I can enable and disable the audio stream easily and quickly, it provides audio that is up to a few hundred ms behind my ID31 audio and is generally reliable although I do sometimes need to refresh the web page when it gets stuck loading.

--break--

I have just had the first instance of this problem! I lost access to the OS3 via the web interface audio control, it showed the enabled/disabled banner but did not unmute or mute audio, I refreshed the page twice, after the second refresh it disconnected from the reflector and then reconnected. The audio output is a bit intermittent and control of it seems to suffer particularly when a station being received has poor bit error rate. The station concerned in the last 10 minutes has really poor error rate on occasion, the DStar info and msg is changing as he talks. Each time this happens I need to refresh the page to get the audio back and sometimes the openSPOT web interface interface disconnected red banner appears.

So, I can confirm your observations in some measure, but I don't find the general web interface connectivity is a problem.
Brian G8SEZ
HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

Thank you. I will be monitoring today. Safari on the Mac is a very repeatable problem. I will just not use Safari.

OS 3 is 6ft direct line of sight from AP. If i move to next room, interface becomes unreliable and playback audio broken up.

Be interesting to have someone on a Mac use Safari to confirm issue too.
K2COP

Post by K2COP »

I did not have an OS2 so I can not comment on that model. I have had an OS1 and now an OS3 and I use Macintosh computers so I thought I'd chime in on what I've experienced. In fact I just closed a post in this forum solved regarding an OS3.

In a nutshell if there is an even slight issue with your home network (one that you didn't even know existed) it will show up when using Mac and OS. I had several pistar with UPNP turned on which apparently overloaded the system when I added an OS3. After troubleshooting and looking at router logs it turns out even my less than a month old router couldn't handle so many UPNP devices at one time. My network appeared ok for streaming and email and browsing but when it came to digital hotspots things were glitchy.

I wish I could remember what I found when I added the OS1 and couldn't get the web interface to load but that was a few years ago. It was something with my DNS servers or Bonjour if I remember correctly.

When my network had the aforementioned UPNP issues the modem audio in the web interface would crash when muting or unmuting. Once I had the network issues solved I can mute or play the modem audio with nothing crashing. Before I had the home network issues solved my web interface would not load period. On the rare time it did load it might sit there churning away for five minutes and all the sudden load. Now the web interface loads perfectly fine. It may be a few seconds slower than I think it should be but it's still fast.

My point is I suspect you too have some home network issues you're not even aware of which is causing issues with the OS3. I think once you get that solved everything will work as expected on the OS3. I might suggest you give the OS3 a static IP and use that IP in your browser instead of a hostname. I think that might be a good starting point and isn't going to cause any issues with anything else on the network. Good luck. 73
KD6QFO

Post by KD6QFO »

K2COP - Thanks for your response. Excuse the long response but I think a few important facts are included.

I too had OS1's, 3 of them on, 24/7, connected to same network, never an issue. In fact, I had the web interface for each OS1 93) and 2 x OS2's on a large screen, simultaneously. No issues with the OS1's every. OS2'sd 95% good, occasional high latency noticed when using ping plot to ping them every 10 seconds.

My OS3, which is not new, I purchased one of the first batch has been more difficult to maintain a good connection. I now know that it really has to be close to a Wi-Fi access point, within 10 feet, preferably closer.

I have been testing all night in terms of pinging the devices to see if they go of line. Non-did. I also tested for 3 hours last night using Edge Chromium on a Mac and again, no issues with the interface crashing. Safari, is always sloe to load, same computer, same network, same locations and repeatable.
I am not using uPNP. In fact, my router is more a small business router that has uPNP disabled out of the box. I simply don’t need it. I open or forwards ports that are needed and am doing do for a few applications including Wirex-X node. It should be noted that I had the same issues with the OS3 when I had a fairly high end Linksys router.

I also have two access points, on very separate channels and with separate SSID names. I am in a rural area so no Wi-Fi channel conflicts. I also scan and monitor with a Wi-Fi analyzer to confirm nothing has moved around or nothing new using a channel.

I also have various connection sensitive devices and VPN tunnels running. They would crap out if I have a network issue. I stream TV content over a VPN from Europe and it’s the first to tell me I have an issue.

Also, for internal access from a computer to the OpenSpot, it’s really not using the router or uPNP even if I had it. It’s just like a direct connection from the computer to the OS3 device so router and Internet issues should not be a factor, at least that is my theory. Also, my OS1’s worked for years, 24/7 no issues with the interface crashing. That points to Wi-Fi.

I have used on two separate Wifi access points and the symptoms are the same. I even went on my iPhone access point and the Audio play back issues are the same. Again, eliminating the internet connection and router.

I don’t need the Audio playback but it would be a cool feature if it worked reliably. I’d also like to be able to use Safari without it crashing too.

Thanks for reading and your suggestions. Still interested with anyone using a Mac, Safari, OSD3 and Audio Playback in the browser, specifically using the mute and unmute.
HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

K2COP - I forgot to add, all my hotspot devices have reserved IP addresses Effectivelly the same as static, just managed in my router's DHCP server.

Reading your thread right now.
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

As a general comment, WiFi devices are often not quite to spec. This is because the specs are ambiguous in some areas and because testing is often done using golden test APs that themselves are not necessarily fully compliant. I've seen devices fail qualification because the test AP broke an unambiguous part of the spec, the test house said that they had no choice in what equipment they used to test with. The firmware guys for our chip had to work around this.

WiFi is a minefield.
Brian G8SEZ
HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

Just downloaded and tried Firefox. Seems stable in terms of the Interface did nto crash. Tuned on audio strea or playback, listened for a few minutes, was reliable and clean. Then I muted for 5 seconds, unmuted and silence. After 15-20 seconds, it seemed the Playback audio started from where I turned on mute and buffered the conversation.

Therefore, if I mute and leave on for 2 hours, will it buffer the whole 2 hours or more of Audio?

I suggest, the Mute is actually more like a "PAUSE" button and not mute. If the RFShark folk can confirm this is the expected operation, I suggest a name change for the button and an explaination on buffering like where its buffered, limits to the buffer, how to stop buffering and play from lve audio.

Thanks.
Last edited by HamScanMan on Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

@G8SEZ - good info...

Frankly, If I know the constraints I'll work around them. Like, I now beleive I really have to be within 5-10 feet of the AP. I also have one that I need to test again that drops of WiFi when too close to the AP.

Thank you