Red/Blue LED

HamScanMan

Red/Blue LED

Post by HamScanMan »

Hello:
Not new to Openspot. Have OS1's, OS2's and an OS3 (worst for reliability and Wifi).

Device randomly goes into Red/Blue LED state. Manual stated its connected to WiFi but cannot connect to the server. Yet, I cannot access the web interface or ping the device. This tells me, its NOT connected to WiFi.

A reboot fixes it for a while, 5 minutes to 45 minutes and same again. I have solid Internet, not using proxy.

The same device seems to freeze when streaming audio and muting or unmuting.

I really think I have a fauly unit. Also, Wi-Fi, its so weak, anything more than a few feet away from an access point, you may not get it to work.
HamScanMan

Re: Red/Blue LED

Post by HamScanMan »

I did more testing. I have 2 Openspot2 devices in the same room, 4 feet away form each other and on different frequencies. All three connecting to Wi-Fi access point in the same room.

I previously found if more that 10-15 feet away, its unreliable. If too close its drops of WiFi too.

I used a tool called Pingplot to ping the devices every 10 seconds and track the results.

In 48 hours, the OS2 devices have stayed online, working fine. The OS3 lasted 27 hours and went into a Red/Blue LED state. As stated previously, this is supposed to indicate a failure to connect to a server. This OS3 is connecting to califonia DMR server and connected to WorldWide TG 91.

The thing is, its not on the wifi, not responding to ping. This has been an issue from new. I may have to involke a warranty repair or replacement.

Power cycling the device in the same location, no changes made it worked again for 1 minute. Web interface dropped and LED State now showing Blue/Yellow. The device is completelly unstable.

DNS is using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Very disappointed.
HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

Device did hard reset. Probably not a bad idea. I moved to a seperate Wi-Fi access point. 6ft away and pointed the OS3 to it.

Plot of ping response attached. Red is unreachable.

Green/Yellow flashing (Null Profile as it was reset). I seriously think the WiFi on this unit is bad.

Cannot access web interface, load frame and sits at the loading prompt.
Attachments
OS3 Pingplot.JPG
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

Out of interest I tried a ping test and had 1 out of 115 pings lost.

Not sure if that is meaningful, but it would be interesting to use Wireshark to capture the traffic when the WiFi connection is flaky.

I can't see why the GS2200M module should be problematic in itself, but the devil with WiFi is in the detail of what other WiFi stations are in the local network and how they interact. Packet traces might help but it requires a lot of knowledge to pin down what is not working, you also need to have a good knowledge of the overall system which naturally SharkRF know best.
Brian G8SEZ
HamScanMan

Post by HamScanMan »

Thanks..... I can do Wireshark, if needed. I am currently working with Norb via email.

I have my OS3 plugged into a computer and terminal ready to issue commands sent from Norm. So far, I have flashed the Wifi, Changed to a static IP. Now I am waiting for it to disconnect so I can issue a command the toggles AP mode on and off.

I am feeding the results back to Norb. The OS3 has been up 28 hours which is good but its not unusual for it to go Red/Blue and drop the Wifi Connection even after days.

To confuse issues, I have 2 Openspot 2 devices that I have been using as a reference. They have remained up for weeks on same wifi. No one of these id going into the same Red/Blue, no wifi connect state after a number of hours of being on.

I have two AP's, 30ft apart with walls and with different channels and SSID's . I'll move all to the second IP tonight to see what happens. I am not agains getting a dedicated Access Point just for these if I can confirm that one of mine is causing the issue.
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

It will be very interesting to see what comes of this, there is clearly something that is problematic for various people in different situations but most of the time I don't see any trouble other than difficulty in enabling/disabling audio via the web interface.

Remember, anything with more than 2 components is a complex system.
Brian G8SEZ