DMR Question

VK3MTV

DMR Question

Post by VK3MTV »

I am new to DMR but not D-Star and am reasonably confidant with the Openspot3. My question is as follows, If I am connected to IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT server and I am on say TG505......I see that I am connected via the dashboard which shows I am on TS2, TG505. Now, if I sit there for a while I have seen TG505 disappear from the TS2 slot adjacent to my callsign. Am I still connected to TG505 or is there a time out or something that I have to set in the radio (Anytone 878 Plus) or is it something on the Openspot3 settings? I am a bit confused.

Could someone explain what is going on please in simple terms?

Thank you.
Greg.
N1IG

Re: DMR Question

Post by N1IG »

I am guessing that you have a Dynamic Link to that talk group, instead of a static talk group:

What is a Dynamic Talkgroup?

Dynamic talkgroups assignments are used for temporary activation on a timeslot on a particular repeater. This type of talkgroup functions for a set amount of time AFTER a local repeater user activates it by transmitting on a repeater using that talkgroup in their radio. When the timer expires and no local user has keyed up again for a set amount of time… the timeslot and the talkgroup and release and the repeater is again open only to the talkgroups that remain static.
For example, if you are traveling in Colorado and wish to talk to a friend back home in Missouri, you could key up the Missouri talkgroup on a Colorado repeater that allows dynamic talkgroups and make a call on repeaters at home that have the Missouri talkgroup set as static. When you are done with your conversation, the dynamic timer will expire and the Colorado repeater will go back to normal.

What is a Static Talkgroup?
A static talkgroup is one that is permanently activated on a particular timeslot by the repeater sysop. This type of static assignment passes ALL traffic from the DMR network over the air on the timeslot it is assigned to.
For example, if a statewide talkgroup is assigned to the local repeater on timeslot 1, anytime someone keys that talkgroup on the network, regardless of where they are, the audio will be retransmitted locally.
In simple terms, this networks many repeaters together full-time for that particular talkgroup.

VK3MTV

Post by VK3MTV »

Thank you, I am beginning to understand, however......Is there anyway for me to change this or is it all part of the DMR structure?

Can I hold on a certain talkgroup without it freeing itself up? via radio or hotspot?
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

Have a look here:

https://github.com/g4klx/MMDVMHost/blob ... options.md

This details the options that you can use on the connectors page, you need the advanced mode enabled.
Brian G8SEZ
VK3MTV

Post by VK3MTV »

G'day, thanks for your reply. I however cannot see in what part of the OS3 settings page where the commands you refer to can be entered. Got me beat I'm afraid.
HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR »

Here it is.
Attachments
Server dashboard.jpg
4409 CQ-UK Wires-X.jpg
DVScotland.jpg
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester
VK3MTV

Post by VK3MTV »

Wow, thank you Lajos I think I understand now. That is fantastic. I will try these settings soon to see how I go. Thank you again. Greatly appreciated.
HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR »

Good luck Greg! The server password is standard "passw0rd" without quotation marks. If VK IPSC2 server not works in this case please choose another server.
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester
VK3MTV

Post by VK3MTV »

Thank you, I seem to have got it to work. However I can't seem to get the settings to save. My profile is #1 and is the only active profile I have. I seem to lose the settings. Sorry that I am having so much drama with this.....
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Make sure you use a compatible browser like Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Make sure the browser is up-to-date. You have to click at the Save button at each section you change on the openSPOT3's web interface.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team