Inconsistent Connecting with iPhone

josebr

Inconsistent Connecting with iPhone

Post by josebr »

I have had the OpenSpot3 since the evening of September 15. In that time I have had the OpenSpot3 work fine for a whole day, only to not work the next day. It has done this consistently, work one day and not the next. Once something works, I don't mess with the settings.
Equipment I am using is Kenwood TH-D74, OpenSpot3, iPhone Personal Hotspot. I am using just my iPhone WiFi. My home Wifi is not in any setting or Profile.

When it does not connect it will say "OpenSpot Profile One Ready", "OpenSpot Trying to Connect Wifi Network", And it will continue to say "Trying to Connect Wifi Network" over and over. But at that point even waiting half an hour did not see the OpenSpot3 connect.

Is there any reason why the OpenSpot3 will work one day and not the next? I need to know as I only have a few more day before I can no longer return the unit for a Refund. Would love for this to work, work well and consistently.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Inconsistent Connecting with iPhone

Post by HA2NON »

Try keeping the hotspot settings page open on your iPhone to let the openSPOT3 connect to it's Wi-Fi network.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
josebr

Post by josebr »

Norbert, I have been keeping that page open since day 2 of owning the OpenSpot3. Makes no difference. My sentiment is that someone out there must know exactly why it has inconsistent connections. I don't want to play a guessing game. I want to fix why it does not work or return the unit. There are only so many parameters to get this working and keep it working. My other hotspots connect nicely with my TH-D74. And as I have written, it does work half the time.

Regardless it will work one day and not the next. No settings have been changed. so what makes it not work one day? Is it a setting? Is the OpenSpot3's wifi broken? I
josebr

Post by josebr »

Just in case you mention it. I renamed my iPhone to a one word 5 letter name and the password was also changed to a one word password. No extra characters or symbols there. Also I did change my iPhone DNS to what is recommended. To no effect. I renamed my iPhone weeks ago when I used my small Zumspot to connect to my iPhone. Which it has done very well. Which makes dealing with the inconsistent connections of the OpenSpot3 all the harder to understand.
Last edited by josebr on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
N1IG

Post by N1IG »

try setting up your OS3 with your home wifi in SSID 1. If the OS3 has the same issue with the home wifi, then there is a problem with the OS3. If it works without any problem, then the issue is the iPhone.

Just did a quick google search, and it looks like iPhones have a recurring problem of dropping connections.
josebr

Post by josebr »

N1IG,
Thanks for responding. I appreciate it when people take the time to respond.

I purchased the OpenSpot3 to work when I go out on my daily walks. Even if it worked with my home WiFi it will not be accomplishing what I purchased it for. To work with my iPhone out doors. It supposedly works great on other people's iPhones. But not on mine. If the OpenSpot3 worked great at home, but not with the iPhone I would not think it's the iPhone as my Zumspot works great on my iPhone. No, I don't want to switch it and use the OpenSpot3 at home and the Zumspot while outside. If that were the case I would just have purchased a second Zumspot. At least I could call Ham Radio Outlet to help as oppose to using a forum in a country with time zones that are 7 hours different.

My concern is that this is not working with my iPhone and there is a 14 day window in which to return this device. More than half of that time is gone. I am not one to keep a device that is not working.
o00scorpion00o

Post by o00scorpion00o »

There are many reported issues related to Iphone hotspot and it remains unresolved, Apple have no fix.

My Iphone 11 Pro hotspot works most of the time but sometimes I just can't get it to connect.IF you haven't the blue symbol on the top left of your Iphone screen your Iphone hot spot isn't working.

This morning coming to work it worked fine, but for 2 whole hrs it would not turn on not even with a reboot, it only started working again a few minutes ago.