Openspot3, and EEro, and/or Mesh routers?

jbradshoemaker

Re: Openspot3, and EEro, and/or Mesh routers?

Post by jbradshoemaker »

As requested
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 5.59.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 5.59.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 5.58.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 5.58.10 PM.png
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

OK, so you have a /22 CIDR LAN with addresses between 192.168.4.0 and 192.168.7.254 usable, broadcast address is at 192.168.7.255

I notice that you don't have a DNS override enabled on the OS3, but your only DNS server is 192.168.4.1 which is the same address as the gateway. If the gateway is not forwarding DNS to your ISP's servers then unless it actually runs a DNS resolver it won't see any addresses outside your network.

Try enabling DNS override, this will set 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 as DNS servers for the OS3 DHCP client. Alternatively look at the EERO setup and see if the network setup is somehow not passing DNS settings or only sends them to certain clients. I think that the EERO expects the router to be in bridge mode so it won't see any servers on the router, which is where DNS might well have been served in the past. I am not a Mac expert or indeed know anything much about EERO.

HTH
Brian G8SEZ
jbradshoemaker

Post by jbradshoemaker »

Hi Brian,

I tried overriding the DNS settings before as it was an option suggested in the manual. My home DNS settings have also been changed from MyIspDNS to OPENDNS to Google and now to CISCO. At your suggestion I over-road again in the hopes that something has changed. Unfortunately it's still not a go.

Nevertheless, as we have gone through log files and looked at some settings, I now feel satisfied that we tried.

I too am not an expert at Eero and am not sure how to complete your most recent request - at least without getting tech support from Eero - probably my next step.

If you have any other suggestions or areas to consider let me know otherwise let's call it closed. If I find a solution I'll return and post it for others.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 8.36.18 AM.png
jbradshoemaker

Post by jbradshoemaker »

Addendum - it appears that the DNS you meant was 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 as that is googlesDNS - I tried this too and it also did not result in a connection.

I also have a windows computer that is used as a standalone for wiresX - might try acceessing Eero and OS3 through this to see if it provides any more usable data. Let me know if ifconfig from this PC notebook would be any more helpful to you.
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

The only other thing I can think of is to install Wireshark on your Windows machine and use that to sniff all the traffic to/from the OS3 over the 2.4GHz WiFi, it's fairly easy to do this as you know its IP address.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, this really should just work.

A quick Google reveals someone suggesting turning off local DNS caching in the EERO settings, you may need to restart the network and the OS3. The person reporting the problem is seeing exactly the same problem you are with the entered DNS servers being ignored and 192.168.4.1 being passed as DNS from DHCP. There is more to it as well, see here:

https://community.eero.com/t/g9hymxk/ee ... ns-servers

HTH
Brian G8SEZ
jbradshoemaker

Post by jbradshoemaker »

Awesome - I wasn't using DNS caching - but will try turning it off and on. Also will download wireshark and read the thread from the link you provided.

I have put a request into Eero and directed them to these threads as well.
jbradshoemaker

Post by jbradshoemaker »

Sooo - now I am befuddled.

Read the article to the end and it seems HomeKit security via Eero was a source of the problem. Since I now recall this issue beginning around the time of this new 'feature' -> I disconnected it. At the same time I turned on DNS Caching - so it could be turned off later. Both required a reboot.

I was not able to connect to the reflector BUT ...the callsign database downloaded in entirety. Thinking we were getting close, I turned off the DNS caching.

Now it won't connect to my home wifi at all (in truth it connects to wifi, then disconnects - never gets internet...repeat)- still connects to my cell.

At the end of the article in the link you sent, the guy spoke to Eero who temporarily disabled their security features on their end (presumably for him alone) and then he was able to operate it. It may be that I have made so many changes, the software may think I am up to no good. Hopefully that solution will work for me.

We must be close,

Thx again.
Last edited by jbradshoemaker on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbradshoemaker

Post by jbradshoemaker »

One more thing.

I set up a guest network on eero which isolates devices and still gives them internet access. Tada - worked like a (broken) charm. OS3 was able to connect to the internet, I just couldn't access the device to change reflectors and such.

So now it is very clearly in the realm of Eero. This information should help them pinpoint the issue.

Thanks again,

Brad
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

Good to hear that you are making progress, these things are rarely simple.

The problem from my perspective is that systems like EERO are designed for the majority but when you want something a little different then they don't support it out of the box. To be honest I don't think openSPOTs are actually even a little different.

Hope you get this fixed soon.
Brian G8SEZ
jbradshoemaker

Post by jbradshoemaker »

Hi Brian,

Still working son it. One of the suggestions was to update OS3 to the most recent stable firmware.

Is this something that can be done manually and if so could you send me the file and instructions.

I am not able to download it using my cell as it restarts at 27% and while I have been to a couple of hotels and made the attempt, so far it has been unsuccessful

Thank you