OpenSpot3 Automatic WIFI transfer

ve3rd

OpenSpot3 Automatic WIFI transfer

Post by ve3rd »

I have my home and cell phone using the same wifi ssid and password
I have 4 pi-star based hotspots that automatically transfer from home to cell phone when I leave the house.
My new openspot3 needs to be power or wifi recycled in order to do the same transfer
Am I missing a setting?
N1IG

Re: OpenSpot3 Automatic WIFI transfer

Post by N1IG »

shouldn't you post this in the OS3 forum, instead of the OS1 forum?
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

I've moved the thread to the OS3 forum. The OS3 always tries to connect to Wi-Fi SSID #1. If it's found, then it will connect to that. If it's not found then it will try connecting to SSID #2 and so on.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
ve3rd

Post by ve3rd »

I have 3 profiles. Each of these only has one ssid and the same programmed
It will not switch when I leave the house or switch back when I turn off the phone wifi
To make it switch I power off the openspot and then back on
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

You need to have all Wi-Fi networks configured in all configuration profiles. The openSPOT3 won't automatically switch configuration profiles.

If you have only 1 Wi-Fi network in the currently active configuration profile, then the openSPOT3 will only try to connect to that and nothing else.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
N1IG

Post by N1IG »

from reading the forum, it appears that a fair number of OS3 users set their home & phone's SSID to different names, then place the phone's in SSID 1, and their home's in SSID 2. This way the OS3 tries to find the phone first, and when it doesn't it tries to connect to the home network.

Seems to work for them...
ve3rd

Post by ve3rd »

Lets try this again.

The openspot 3 is on Profile 1

Profile 1 has ssid=ABC123, Password=123ABC
Home WIFI ssid=ABC123, Password=123ABC
Phone WIFI ssid=ABC123, Password=123ABC

My four pi-star hotspots automatically switch over when I leave or return home
The OpenSpot 3 will NOT switch over automatically. It requires a reboot

Do I now have to reprogram all my hotspots to use a second ssid for cell phone use.
bx2aek

Post by bx2aek »

HA2NON wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:08 am I've moved the thread to the OS3 forum. The OS3 always tries to connect to Wi-Fi SSID #1. If it's found, then it will connect to that. If it's not found then it will try connecting to SSID #2 and so on.
Hi I have a issue on the wifi transfer on OP3 as well, I have set up five wifi sites but OP3 only works on four of these(two mobile phone wifi sharing and two house wifi), the wifi ADSL in my office(#4 wifi in the menu) can not connect to OP3 for some unknown reason, any explanantion and troubleshooting is suggested? Thanks a lot. Kim BX2AEK Taipei Taiwan
Kim Liao
BX2AEK

Taipei, Taiwan
bx2aek@gmail.com
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

- Make sure you have enabled 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, not just 5GHz.
- Make sure the Wi-Fi router's encryption is WPA or WPA2
- Place the openSPOT3 close to the Wi-Fi router.
- Make sure the Wi-Fi bandwith is set to max. 20Mhz in the Wi-Fi router (see explanation here: https://superuser.com/questions/542191/ ... less-speed)
- If it still does not work, try switching Wi-Fi channel on your Wi-Fi router. Only channels 1, 6 or 11 should be used (see explanation here: https://www.metageek.com/training/resou ... -6-11.html)
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
bx2aek

Post by bx2aek »

HA2NON wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 am - Make sure you have enabled 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, not just 5GHz.
- Make sure the Wi-Fi router's encryption is WPA or WPA2
- Place the openSPOT3 close to the Wi-Fi router.
- Make sure the Wi-Fi bandwith is set to max. 20Mhz in the Wi-Fi router (see explanation here: https://superuser.com/questions/542191/ ... less-speed)
- If it still does not work, try switching Wi-Fi channel on your Wi-Fi router. Only channels 1, 6 or 11 should be used (see explanation here: https://www.metageek.com/training/resou ... -6-11.html)
OK, thanks for advice, let me try out and feedback, thank you! Kim BX2AEK
Kim Liao
BX2AEK

Taipei, Taiwan
bx2aek@gmail.com