TGIF problems

AI7HL

TGIF problems

Post by AI7HL »

I have a question about time slots and the openSPOT3. I don't see a place in the openSPOT3 configuration where I can specify time slot. My experience tells me that when I send a group call via the "Quick call" feature... the openSPOT seems to link and unlink on time slot 2. The default behavior seems to be the same with Pi-Star.

My problem is... somehow... occasionally a talk group on the TGIF network will get linked on time slot 1. And no amount of group calls to 4000 will unlink it. Because the group calls go to time slot 2.

I don't even know enough about this stuff to be dangerous. But can you tell me how or why I'm getting linked to a talk group on time slot 1? And can I configure the openSPOT to unlink it on time slot 1?

Honestly, I think this is a TGIF problem. But I would appreciate knowing your thoughts.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: TGIF problems

Post by HA2NON »

There are no timeslots in simplex DMR communications, and the openSPOT3 connects (and reports) as a simplex device to the server. The server protocol allows to define a timeslot in each packet, however, if it is working correctly then this timeslot information is ignored.

If the TGIF server uses the timeslot information in the openSPOT3's packets then you can set the timeslot at the "DMO mode TDMA channel" field (Homebrew/MMDVM connector settings). 0 means TS1 and 1 means TS2. It should be set to 1 by default for MMDVM mode servers (like TGIF).
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
AI7HL

Post by AI7HL »

HA2NON wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:35 am If the TGIF server uses the timeslot information in the openSPOT3's packets then you can set the timeslot at the "DMO mode TDMA channel" field (Homebrew/MMDVM connector settings). 0 means TS1 and 1 means TS2. It should be set to 1 by default for MMDVM mode servers (like TGIF).
I am unable to save a value of 0 in the field "DMO mode TDMA channel". I put a zero there, hit save, and it reverts back to 1.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

The setting is saved and used, but the web interface always reverts to 1 (so if you set it to 0 and click on Save then it will use TDMA channel 0 if you don't click on Save again). We'll fix this.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
AI7HL

Post by AI7HL »

HA2NON wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:07 am The setting is saved and used, but the web interface always reverts to 1 (so if you set it to 0 and click on Save then it will use TDMA channel 0 if you don't click on Save again). We'll fix this.
Thanks for your help on this. I noticed something interesting. The value for "homebrew" mode is stuck on 0. The value for the "MMDVM" mode is stuck on 1.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

BrandMeister servers used to require TDMA channel 0 for DMO mode devices (now it does not matter).
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
AI7HL

Post by AI7HL »

HA2NON wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:50 pm BrandMeister servers used to require TDMA channel 0 for DMO mode devices (now it does not matter).
Ok. I'm thinking maybe you can help me with the actual problem. I don't understand it entirely. But I was playing around on TGIF this morning. I can link to a talk group... and their server says it's linked on TS1. However I cannot unlink with a group call to 4000. I can link to a different talkgroup with a group call. But a group call to 4000 does not unlink me. I can't figure out why this is.

I am able to unlink with my Pi-Star hotspot.

If you have TGIF credentials... perhaps you could see if this is reproducible. I am using their selfcare on their new "beta" server. Not sure if you keep up with news... but apparently they've been in the midst of switching over to a new server for months. Half their users are on the old server and half on the new. You might need to gain access to their new server by creating an account before you can access their selfcare.

I figure you would want a test account with them anyway. I hope this isn't outside the scope for you.
AI7HL

Post by AI7HL »

AI7HL wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 pm I figure you would want a test account with them anyway. I hope this isn't outside the scope for you.
In the old days we used to have a term. TGIF has referred me to your support for this issue twice. I'm thinking they need a slap upside their head with your "clue bat". If it indeed is their problem, having that pointed out to them by you would carry far more weight than if I were to point that out. They're basically ignoring me at this point.
Last edited by AI7HL on Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

The timeslot setting should be ignored by the server for a hotspot linked in DMO mode like the openSPOT3.

Servers usually unlink all talkgroups if you start a group call to ID 4000. Verify that you are sending a group (not a private) call to ID 4000.

Talkgroup linking/unlinking is managed entirely by the server. If you can view the server's log then you can find out more info about what's happening. If not, contact the server admins to help you.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
AI7HL

Post by AI7HL »

HA2NON wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:20 pm Servers usually unlink all talkgroups if you start a group call to ID 4000. Verify that you are sending a group (not a private) call to ID 4000.

Talkgroup linking/unlinking is managed entirely by the server. If you can view the server's log then you can find out more info about what's happening. If not, contact the server admins to help you.
Yep. I'm sending a group call to 4000. I have put in support tickets with them. All they did was refer me to you and refuse to answer any further questions. Their support person clearly does not know enough to help... or perhaps too lazy to do so.

I have heard their admins on the air. They have utter disdain for their users. Mocking them openly in public. I should probably just give up using their network.