New Firmware Notice

Vk4BS

New Firmware Notice

Post by Vk4BS »

I keep getting the "New Firmware available" notice which says to click to go to the firmware. Firstly the click does not work. Secondly I don't need to update at this stage. Thirdly I can't get this annoying notice to go away. How do I stop it appearing (short of updating the firmware)?

Howard
Howard Small
VK4BS/VK4RPH

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: New Firmware Notice

Post by HA2NON »

You can only get rid of the message if you upgrade your openSPOT's firmware. What browser do you use? Clicking on the bubble works under latest Chrome, Firefox and Safari for us.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

golftango

Post by golftango »

hi. my openspot just arrived and i know nothing about it or digital modes, but a lot about computers and networking. (!)

i'm going through your manual and it's very confusing exactly what i need to do. in one place you say i need to connect it via usb to my computer. in another place you say i can use the browser and hit the /reboot to bootloader/ button. that one doesn't sound right unless the tcpip support is at a layer above that and that doesn't sound right.

also confusing is at what point in the process i need to download the firmware .bin file and how i need to transfer it to the /root of the openspot flash memory.

i too saw the message at bottom of my browser (chrome on a mac), but clicking it did absolutely nothing.

i have a slow blinking read light, a slow blinking green light, no light, and a green light blinking seemingly at random.

as i said, i do have a connection to it via browser.

thanks and /guy (73 de kg5vt | wqpz784) to all in the group.

golftango

Post by golftango »

well, i might have gotten the firmware updated. but no thanks to your documentation or 'helpful' video--thanks to 35 years of doing this sort of thing before. i finally said screw it and stopped trying to follow all the omissions and loose ends and contradictions and just winged it.

btw, on my 2014 imac running mac os v10.12.6, i get a 'crc error' when trying to copy the file but i think it worked using windows 7 under vmware. i say i think because the original popup i got (which disappeared forever) said there was a firmware update as of 11 aug. but your update page last version seemed to be 12 june. so i don't even know if my unit had old firmware or not, but now it seems to be on 0119 if i'm reading the status page right.

but your documentation is no more helpful after the firmware update as again, you jump around like a monkey on crack. for godz sake pick a path and stick with it. don't jam in a bunch of dmr stuff when i'm trying to do a step-by-step to setup dstar. and since i know nothing about dstar, i need a take-me-by-the-hand-step-by-step of how to activate it. also, i'm handicapped in that i have no idea what repeater or reflector or gateway i need to input. i have a dstar id, but i don't see any place to input it.

is there any way to save a config so i can restore it after i invariably brick one after another trying to set this thing up?

tks, /guy (73 de kg5vt | wqpz784)

golftango

Post by golftango »

btw, the one setting i was sure of was the freq i wanted to use as your default one seems to be on the edge of the satcomm band. but the firmware update blitzed it. so if i had set up a config i'm assuming i would have had to do it all over again.

i now have the left light blinking red and a /connector not set/ error message on the browser. i'm assuming the modem is the interface to the internet (the gateway to the digital mode i want) and the connector is my local config and connection to the openspot, is that right?

golftango

Post by golftango »

here's an example of how your docs are newbie-hostile:
Follow the steps below on how to set up your transceiver to use with openSPOT.

Here are some tips on how to find openSPOT’s IP address:
– You can look at the DHCP clients list in your router’s web interface.
– If voice announcements are enabled in the openSPOT, you can query the active IP address:
– DMR: start a call to the IP address query DMR ID (by default it’s 9001). In DMR mode, voice announcements are sent to TG9, so to hear them, make sure you have TG9 in your radio’s RX group list.
– D-STAR: start a call to the repeater info callsign …….A (7 spaces and an A, replace dots with spaces)
first, you launch right in to how to find the openspot's ip address without telling me whether that's the lan address (which i see right in my browser bar) or the wan address (which i already know). worse, you don't tell me why or if it's needed for dstar. and that dstar line is pure gobbledygook to me, sad to say. as i said, i have no idea which repeater to use. there seem to be 3 listed in my area, but i have no idea whether any of them are even active.

i found a youtube video which looks promising, so i'm going to try it instead of your getting started stuff which is just confusing me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS2e5ON ... ioConcepts

tks, /guy

G4YSJ

Post by G4YSJ »

Never experienced a problem here! Download the firmware update file. Set the OpenSpot to bootloader via the web interface. Copy the file to the device. Leave it alone until it reboots. Remember to clear the browser cache. Previous settings have always remained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

golftango

Post by golftango »

didn't you leave out 'connect it to a computer'? and 'don't connect it to a mac computer'?

:):):)

with the instructions given you'd think that it was creating a nas drive which you could access over ethernet. it's just sloppy language that likely only stumps folks like me who know many alternate connection methods. and the video never said to connect to a computer nor did it show the other end of the usb cable. nor, now that i think about it, did the docs or the video ever say they didn't mean connect is using the ethernet cable. which is a real, but not very often used in simple applications option.

i do appreciate it, really. i guess i've been a beta tester for too many years to not notice what a new user would have problems with. and i'm hoping that some of the stuff i notice might make it into future revisions in case there's anyone on earth as ignorant as i am about this new tech.

/guy

golftango

Post by golftango »

ok, thanks to the video link i posted (he posted that in december 2016, so his screens look a little different using v072 i think) and all indications are that it went well. i found on the reflector list one (REF0078A) which was for 'digital training', so i used that. there's another one which says it covers texas, but i hardly want to talk across the whole state--only to one town. hopefully there's a way to narrow the coverage down from statewide to a specific repeater.

first thing i noticed was that transmitting in /fm/ mode on the designated simplex frequency doesn't work.

laugh if you wish, but i'm so ignorant of all this that i was wondering whether i was actually going to need a digital radio for this or whether it translated analogue /fm/ to digital and then decoded it on the return and that any /fm/ radio could send and receive audio. but i guess that would have been too easy. i've been way out of touch as i lived in a place so saturated with qrm/qrn and rf in every mode imaginable for 25 years and haven't been able to use a single radio other than a trunked scanner with a limited-range 'race' antenna.

so i have an icom and a kenwood and i've never been into the dstar modes. it looks like the rt-systems software shows there's a /dv/ mode. should i set that? is that's all that's needed or do i have to set up a whole dstar configuration inside my radio?

golftango

Post by golftango »

Status

To: CQCQCQ
Group D-STAR voice call from modem
At: 16:37:36 (length: 00:05)

Clear call log
Export call log

Active config profile: 0 (default)
Active connector: REF/XRF (DPlus/DExtra)
Modem mode: D-STAR
Modem RX/TX frequency, power: 435.000000/435.000000 25%
Connected to: REF078/A

openSPOT info
Hardware version: v1.1 (433 US)
Software version: 0119
Bootloader version: 0004
MAC address: xx:99:xx:99:xx:99
Device ID: 24442026