New Firmware Notice

golftango

Re: New Firmware Notice

Post by golftango »

i think i actually fumbled my way through the basics. i found out how to get into dstar mode and when i pressed the /ptt/ and gave my call the /status/ screen showed /in call/ just like the video.

so now i know it's possible, i have a lot of reading and research ahead of me. back when i bought the icom dstar i bought 3 books and shouldn't have wasted my money as there is better and more up-to-date info on the web. i sure don't understand this /reflector/ nonsense and somewhere along the way i saw /server/ thrown in the mix along with /gateway/. so far i see no way on my radio to change the reflector but i did find 3 local repeaters listed as dstar and put them in the digital memories section even though i have no idea if any of them are active. pretty sure i heard that all the local dstar stuff is down and has been for awhile--it's not a big town.

btw, although i've always been a yaesu fan since i never could afford icom, i like the kenwood d74 much more than the icom dstar model. and i have a tyt dmr radio coming next week so that when i'm a dstar master i can start on that although i can see the setup for it is much more complicated.

anyway, thanks for putting up with my newbie dump, but hopefully it has pointed out parts of the documentation that was too advanced for me at least and confusing. i've not read a single bad thing about this product and it's in high demand although i might regret not waiting for the (?rumored?) wifi model, eh? :)

/guy (73 de kg5vt | wqpz784)

golftango

Post by golftango »

aha! it looks like just setting up a normal memory channel in /dr/ mode works without having to go into a dstar mode. i can see it's going to drive my scanner /close call/ function crazy, so i'll have to remember to toggle that off before using dstar.

now to find out if there's any way of arranging a radio check with someone before i hit the books for hours to try to understand all this. i live 15 miles from town inside a ring of hills and even with a 75w base i wasn't able to reliably hit any repeaters and i've gotten too sick to put up antennas despite me moving here to begin with to put up an antenna farm. :) the fire department put me one up so i can coordinate their weather spotters, but it's not much gain and not up high enough to hit town--their repeater is on a close-by hill.

G4YSJ

Post by G4YSJ »

golftango wrote:aha! it looks like just setting up a normal memory channel in /dr/ mode works without having to go into a dstar mode.
Assuming you are talking about the Kenwood TH-D74, you need to use the radio set to Digital in DV mode (as if making a simplex contact).To start with, use the browser interface to select the reflector or gateway (repeater) you wish to use. I would suggest trying reflector 001 C as this is very active. You can try other reflectors and gateways by selecting from the browser. Once you have this working, you can look at changing reflectors or gateways via the radio. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

golftango

Post by golftango »

tks for the tip on the reflector! and yeah, i did a search in the advanced manual for the d74 and no mention of reflector whatsoever. also, i'm unclear on the mechanism for the openspot to pick up the reflector change if you did it in the radio--i don't think changing it on the radio could influence the setting in the openspot, but i could be wrong.

i put the openspot freq in a memory channel, the digital call channel and as #000 in the dstar memory, just to cover all the bases. while i'm feeling my way around.

/guy

golftango

Post by golftango »

it's working! i'm hearing dozens of qso's in just a few seconds including uss midway special event with multiple countries contacting the ship. i sure wish i could work him since i was on a radioman on a carrier but i have no idea what the dstar protocols are--i'll have to read and listen for hours before i'm actually ready to transmit.

damm! 25 years of not being able to use ham radio has taken it's toll and i no longer remember any protocols and procedures.

but i don't understand this sort of digital thing is in any way comparable to the same special event where everyone is using an actual hf radio--i mean, this is more like an internet forum. this old dog is going to have to learn a lot of new tricks it seems.

golftango

Post by golftango »

wow! there was a long lull in the traffic and i jumped in and the uss midway special event station responded. i think the op was ni6iw named joe. i had a long qso with him because i had been a carrier sailor and we were both radiomen on carriers--he was on the kennedy and i was on the forrestal and we both used to run phone patches using the maritime mobile net on 20m 14.313mhz in the 70s before the age of the internet.

what a delightful treat for my very first qso! i'm hooked! again, tks to all for the patience in letting me work my way through getting set up and for the help.

/guy

milehigher

Post by milehigher »

You can get some decent books on amazon regards digital operation in dstar/dmr/ even echolink for inexpensive that cover what you need to know in order to get the basics of operation.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk