Baofeng UV5R

W5hj

Baofeng UV5R

Post by W5hj »

I have a friend that recently bought a Baofeng UV5R hoping to use it on DMR which was a mistake since though they claim it is a tier 2 radio it in fact is not and transmits on both timeslots at the same time which creates big problems when used on a DMR repeater. Anyway he was probably going to have to use a hotspot anyway because the only DMR repeater anywhere around him is pretty far away and would be pretty marginal for him to use.

I wonder if the Baofeng would be usable with the Openspot since timeslots are more of less meaningless with it? I would try his radio myself with my Openspot as a test but he is about 500 miles from me.
Hank W5HJ 73

milehigher

Re: Baofeng UV5R

Post by milehigher »

I don't know how openspot will handle it ,but I can say that most DMR admistraiters banned those radios from use because they don't comply , I might suggest if he just bought it return it ,for less than $100 most places will sell you the md380 or 390 because the md2017 came out which is dual band ,every time a radio better comes out last years models sell cheap , if I had a baofeng I would gladly test it on my openspot ,but I have one that is non DMR as a "drop radio" that i should drop as it has the unavaible bad mic element ,so it stays as dedicated FM broadcast volunteer.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

W5hj

Post by W5hj »

You and I both know that MD380 at 100 bucks would be a far better option. But one thing I have learned in my 55 years as a ham that all hams are cheap skates and if they can make a $60 radio work for their purposes they ain't going to spend $100.😄
Hank W5HJ 73

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Yes, all DMR Tier 1 radios will work with the openSPOT, so you'll be able to use the Baofengs.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

milehigher

Re: RE: Re: Baofeng UV5R

Post by milehigher »

W5hj wrote:You and I both know that MD380 at 100 bucks would be a far better option. But one thing I have learned in my 55 years as a ham that all hams are cheap skates and if they can make a $60 radio work for their purposes they ain't going to spend $100.[emoji1]
You are so right ? Het let's go out year after year and buy the latest "I" something (waiting weeks in line to getbthe first ones) but when it comes to radios anything cheap flies of the shelf, i went to a local hamfest unless it was the guys i went with we saw maybe 4 non baofengs , I had a the 74a and people wanted to finger it and look,but nobody wanted to pony up that much for a radio,no matter what it does , in ten years that rig Will still be usable & sellable , baofeng won't be , of course it has brought new blood into the hobby ! Just hope There taste in radio matures over time.

broonzbane

Post by broonzbane »

The UV-5R is an analog radio, so it won't work at all. Does he have the DM-5R, perhaps? That's the Tier I radio that's unusable on repeaters...

73!!!

W5hj

Post by W5hj »

Yes it is the DM-5R. I missspoke in the original post.
Hank W5HJ 73

digitalvoice

Post by digitalvoice »

DM5R works great on the openspot. Lots of users are using them. Great throw away radios. Its funny one guy was using a Baofeng talking to another guy who hated the Baofeng radios, the person said ham said he was using a Hytera and the person who hated the Baofeng said, wow. Good sounding radio. Just goes to show you, digital is digital. All you need is the chip board, speaker and mike and it will work.

Tons of projects going on with dongles and chips. Since the openspot is doing all the work, it really doesn't matter what type of radio you use. They all sound the same.

milehigher

Post by milehigher »

I am an audiophile and swear most people don't hear it but DMR & C4FM sound a thousand times better than dstar, it might ge the newer codec or something but i can tell weird things in audio , people come over to my place sll thevtime and saybwhat slhum arebuou listening to ? I tell them and say it's on SACD , you here so much more on SACD THAT convential albums cant reproduce .