Openspot with TPlink and hotspot

Roberteod

Openspot with TPlink and hotspot

Post by Roberteod » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 pm

I am at a total loss as to why I can't get my computer to let me log in to my openspot when I t is connected to a hotspot. I changed the computer internet connection that the TP link is on. The TP link is in client mode. I just don't know what more I can do. I hope someone has had this problem and was able to fix it.

W5hj

Re: Openspot with TPlink and hotspot

Post by W5hj » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:25 pm

In the client mode the TP-Link is programmed to connect to a specific wifi network, usually an iPhone personal hotspot or similar. The wifi that the TP-link is programmed for needs to be up and running and the TP-link successfuly connected to it. You then connect your computer to that wifi i.e. your iPhone personal hotspot.

What ever device you are using needs to be on the same LAN as your Openspot in order to access the Openspot web interface.
Hank W5HJ 73

Roberteod

Post by Roberteod » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Hank. I have everything you mentioned set up and when I turn on my radio the openspot works exactly the way it is supposed to. I have been on TAC310 mall afternoon through the openspot. You know what I may not be thinking about is that I installed Malwearbytes on my computer and maybe that is my problem. I am also using windows defender and I don't know if there is something there that needs configuring. I seem to be snake bit when it comes to electronics.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:27 am

The TP-Link creates a separate network for it's connected Ethernet clients if it's not in bridge mode. Set the TP-Link to bridge mode, or if you can't do that, create a TCP 80 port (HTTP) forward rule on the TP-Link to openSPOT's IP address, and then you'll be able to open the web interface using the link http://tplinkip/main.html_gz (replace tplinkip with the IP address of the TP-Link router).
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

MH_Flexer

Post by MH_Flexer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 pm

I use the TP Link set up as client with no problems. Make sure your computer is logged on to the same internet source as the OpenSPOT so you are on the same wireless connection.

Use the full address. Http://OpenSpot or Http://OpenSpot.local. On mine sometimes one address will work when the other does not.

If you can find the IP address assigned to the OpenSPOT you can login using that as well. Good luck

WS1L

Post by WS1L » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:55 pm

OK, I have a similar setup and similar issue.

I have a work vehicle with 4G wifi. There's a Panasonic Toughbook computer connected to this wifi for work. I am using a TP-Link and it is connected to the vehicle wifi, openspot is plugged into the TP-Link, and I'm good to go on D-Star.

When I open the webpage for the wifi router I can see the TP-Link connected at e.g., 192.168.1.64. If I type that in the web browser on the computer I get the TP-Link admin page, and I can log into that. All well and good.

However, http://openspot and http://openspot.local time out. There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can find on the TP-Link webpage that lists the IP of the connected device (i.e., the openspot)

I'm sure there is something I'm missing. Next chance I get I will try the "seven spaces and A" URCALL to see if I get an IP address back.

I'd like to be able to open the openspot page to see what's going on.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

WS1L

Post by WS1L » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Setting URCALL to " A" returned the IP address of 192.168.1.22 and connecting to that brought up the webpage. Still have to see if the IP remains the same between sessions.

DaveKY

Post by DaveKY » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:06 am

I also use the TPlink (client mode) for my openspot to connect to the main wifi router in my house or hotspot on phone and it does the same thing depending on the sequence that other smart devices connect. Almost every time its powered down and then restarted I have to play the IP guessing game to find it. Luckily it doesn't go far....192.168.1.between 68-71 ;)

WS1L

Post by WS1L » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:34 pm

This morning it powered up and had the same IP address. Time will tell if that will continue or if it was simply chance.