Programing channels for my DMR radio

W5hj

Programing channels for my DMR radio

Post by W5hj »

In preparation of receiving my Openspot soon I would like to program my DMR radio for use on the Brandmeister network. I assume that I program all channels as simplex on TS1 with CC1 and receive group lists are unnecessary since you will only receive the TG that you are using unlike when on a repeater when you have to be aware of other TG's using the TS?

Not quite sure what the auto connect function does or even if I need to use it.

Any other guidance would be appreciated.

Hank W5HJ
Hank W5HJ 73

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Programing channels for my DMR radio

Post by HA2NON »

If you connect openSPOT to BM, openSPOT won't have any TGs and reflectors linked by default. You can use the auto connect feature to automatically join a reflector or a talkgroup. An auto connect interval can be set to avoid talkgroup unlink timeout.

I'm usually on reflector 4770, and set auto connect to 4770 with a private call, and 0 interval, so my openSPOT is always linked to 4770 when it connects to BM.

Also you can use the reroute feature, which reroutes all calls coming from talkgroups to TG9, so you don't have to mess with RX group lists, all calls will come to TG9 on your radio, and if you talk to TG9, your call will be rerouted to the desired talkgroup.

TS1 and CC1 is correct.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

W5hj

Post by W5hj »

If I understand you setting auto connect to a talkgroup with zero interval would be like having that talkgroup static on a repeater. Then all other talkgroups that I have programed as channels on my radio would act like a dynamic talkgroup on a repeater? I guess they would be subject to a timeout if I didn't key up once in a while.

I probably won't use reflectors much but I assume that I can manual dial them on a channel set up for TG9 like I do on a repeater. If so do they have to be disconnected by dialing 4000 or do they also timeout?
Hank W5HJ 73

W5hj

Post by W5hj »

One more question. As I understand it Brandmeister requires that TG9 be on TS2 to use the manual dialup of reflectors on repeaters. Does this create a problem with an Openspot using TS1 or once you manual dial a refector on an Openspot the network doesn't know the difference?
Hank W5HJ 73

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

openSPOT uses DMO mode in DMR Hotspot mode, where TS1 and TS2 are linked together, so you don't have to worry about timeslots.

Talkgroups can be static or dynamic, it depends on your server's settings. If you set auto connect interval to 0, and auto connect is enabled for a talkgroup, then openSPOT will link that talkgroup only once, when it connects to the server. Setting an auto connect to a static talkgroup doesn't make sense as a static talkgroup will always gets linked to your openSPOT. Dynamic talkgroups do have a timeout, so if you don't talk to them, they will be unlinked automatically. That's how Brandmeister works.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

W2SJW

Post by W2SJW »

Harry,

They recently added the ability to operate solely on TG9 & choose the TG or reflector you want to operate on by selecting it from your contact list & making a short transmission.

The default way is to have a channel set up in your radio for every TG you wish to operate on, and then making a quick 2 second transmission to establish the link (like a DV-MEGA or a standard repeater).

The new way mimics the operation of the DV4Mini. The BM network itself does not care what timeslot you are using (very unusual that my Uniden 436HP scanner sees the openSPOT as TX'ing on TS2, but needs TS1 from the actual radio).

Myself and a number of friends prefer to use the channel-for-each mode that the unit had from the start. A lot quicker to turn the channel knob then scrolling through a long contact list...
Scott, W2SJW

W5hj

Post by W5hj »

I will probably use the preprogrammed channel method most of the time but will also have a channel programmed for TG9 that I can use for a contact or reflector that I might not have programmed. I am pretty familiar with how Brandmeister works as we have a couple of local Brandmeister repeaters and that is how I use it. Just trying to get my head around how operation on Brandmeister with an Openspot from using a repeater.
Hank W5HJ 73

W2SJW

Post by W2SJW »

I get responses from the forum here on my Tapatalk mobile app, so don't hesitate to ask questions on things you can't figure out!

If I can jump in & help when Norbert is not on, I'm happy to!

Disclaimer - I don't work for SharkRF, I'm just an avid geek & first-production-run owner! :D
Scott, W2SJW