Can OpenSpot connect to DMR TAC310?

NT4H

Can OpenSpot connect to DMR TAC310?

Post by NT4H »

Hello,

I'm new to DMR but recently purchased a TYT MD-380G and find the DMR coverage here in the Seattle area awesome (HT in the car coverage throughout the area). I would like to use an OpenSpot for home use so as not to tie-up the local repeaters.

Can the OpenSpot connect to the following:

- TAC310
- 4639/3100
- World-wide

Thank you,
73 Paul - NT4H
W2SJW

Re: Can OpenSpot connect to DMR TAC310?

Post by W2SJW »

Yes to all three!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk 6
Scott, W2SJW
NT4H

Post by NT4H »

Thanks for the information. How is this done from my HT?
W2SJW

Post by W2SJW »

You need to program a channel for every TG you want to operate on. Program it as TS1 with the TG in the TX contact field. The device ships set for color code 1, but you can change that to any of the color codes that you want.

You key up first for 2 seconds to activate the link, then you can talk normally like you would on a standard repeater.

Do not forget - if the TG is in use when you connect, you will have to wait for the station transmitting to finish before you will hear anything (this applies to ALL devices, whether hotspot or a real repeater).

Scott, W2SJW
NT4H

Post by NT4H »

Thank you sir, you've been very helpful. So you treat an OpenSpot as you would a local repeater.

One additional question. Can you have any full time TGs? Then the others be PTT?

Thanks again,
73 Paul - NT4H
W2SJW

Post by W2SJW »

No. The openSPOT currently will only process one TG at a time. TG's that are usually full-time on the master (like 3100) will stay up as long as you are connected to the network. PTT ones like the statewides and the TAC's need to be refresh periodically.

Scott, W2SJW
W5hj

Post by W5hj »

" PTT ones like the statewides and the TAC's need to be refresh periodically."

Is there anyway to program the Openspot to do this automaticly on a particular TG? On my local repeaters the Oklahoma TG is static so it is a handy place where we have local QSO's and friends from out of the state can come find us. I usually monitor Oklahoma most of the time. Seems like a pain that I will have to reset it often when using the Openspot.
Hank W5HJ 73
W2SJW

Post by W2SJW »

Yes, the unit has an auto connect feature with a settable timer that keeps you linked to non-static talkgroups.

Scott, W2SJW
W5hj

Post by W5hj »

But does that interfere when you are off on a different TG by trying to reconnect you?
Hank W5HJ 73
W2SJW

Post by W2SJW »

That I do not know, as I do not use either of those features. The auto-connect feature is separate from the one that keeps you connected to whatever you are currently linked to (you can use one without the other).

Scott, W2SJW