New User

DaveO

New User

Post by DaveO »

I'm New to DMR and have no repeaters locally, hence the openSPOT.
Is there somewhere that gives a step by step for us newbies who have no-one to ask.
OK, I know RTFM.

I just got the echo test working, so I know that I have the radio programmed correctly.
Now just to connect to a talk group I guess.
All help will be greatly received and very much appreciated.
Best 73's
Dave VK2BSY
W5hj

Re: New User

Post by W5hj »

You need to program additional channels in the radio in the same way but use the talkgroup that you want instead of the 9999 Openspot echo talkgroup. For instance 3100 for USA or 3148 for Texas. They should be entered in your contacts list as group calls. 9999 should be a private call in the contacts list.

When you get though programing channels put them in a Zone which is simply a memory bank so you can access them in your radio.
Hank W5HJ 73
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

OK,

Thanks for that, it's all a bit overwhelming at first. I'll post up how I get on later, or with perhaps some more questions :lol:
73's
Dave
W5hj

Post by W5hj »

There are other ways to connect to talkgroups manually though talkgroup 9 but I perfer using channels. At least for the channels I am most likely to use like USA and my statewide, surrounding states, and states whe I have friends.
Hank W5HJ 73
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Ok, So.I have

Contact Name------Call Type---Call ID
Worldwide----------Group Call-----1
Worldwide English-Group Call----13
UA English----------Group Call----113
UA English 2--------Group Call----123
Local----------------Group Call-----9
VK-Wide------------Group Call----505
VK/ZL---------------Group Call-----5

So I just Create new channels Tx/RX 436Mhz and set each channel up Then pop each channel in to my openSPOT zone
But what about time slot, I think I have read that doesn't matter with the openSPOT.
and the Colour Code.
Are both these set to 1 ????
Sorry, I'm a real Newbie and I don't have a local DMR repeater to play with :)
I'll have a play but would love some more help.

Best 73's
Dave
W5hj

Post by W5hj »

Timeslot does not matter on the open spot. Color code can be changed in the Openspot but the default is 1 so just use 1.

Your talkgroup numbers are DMR-MARC numbers. Hot spots cannot be used on the DMR-MARC network but are used on the Brandmeister network. Some of the numbers are the same and in some cases linked to the DMR-MARC network talkgroup of the same name. Most notably the TAC talkgroups .

This doc has a list of the numbers you should be using. It is written for the US so you need to research Brandmeister for more talkgroups specific to VK land.

https://brandmeister.us/files/US_BM_User_Guide.pdf

You can even use Oklahoma talkgroup 3140 to give me a holler sometime.

Hank W5HJ
Hank W5HJ 73
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Thanks Hank
I'll do that. Keep listening, I hope to pop up within the day :)
Dave
VK2BSY
W5hj

Post by W5hj »

Here is a map of DMR repeaters. It only shows DMR-MARC repeaters in VK land but could be out of date. I know there are some BM repeaters here in Oklahoma that are not on the map.

http://www.cqdmrmap.com/

Not on all the time but usually monitor Oklahoma when I am on. Hope to hear you soon.

Hank W5HJ
Hank W5HJ 73
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Hank

I have flicked you an email with screen shots of my setup.

I tried calling you and tried VK also but nothing, so I am still doing something wrong.

Hopefully you get my email sent to your yahoo account.

I'll post back here once I get things going.

Cheers

Dave
W5hj

Post by W5hj »

Got your email and as you know you got it working. Enjoyed the QSO we had on the Oklahoma TG. Sorry I had to run and hope to work you later on Brandmeister. DMR is cool, I help a ham in VK land on the Internet and pretty soon I have a QSO with him on my talkie in Oklahoma!

73 Hank W5HJ
Hank W5HJ 73