New Model OpenSpot

skunkworks

New Model OpenSpot

Post by skunkworks » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:45 am

When is the NEW Model going to be announced / released ? What kind of features will it have over the original openSpot ?

When can I advance / preorder one ?

EdAtlanta

Re: New Model OpenSpot

Post by EdAtlanta » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:28 am

I have had my OpenSpot for a couple of years now and it just works. With all of the other "spots" available now I sure read a lot of comments in various places about configuration issues. I never have those issues with my OpenSpot. You get what you pay for.

When the new model Open Spot or whatever they call it is available I will have one.
Ed
KM4STL

M3SXA

Post by M3SXA » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:44 pm

@skunkworks the SharkRF tweet said soon....
73 Steve
Openspot1 v.141 :D

digitalvoice

Post by digitalvoice » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:19 am

Interesting, why would openspot come out with a new device? I say, do't do it. Its a waste of money top appease a few people.

You can buy a chinaspot for 37.00 on EBAY and it covers DMR, Dstar, Fusion, NXDN, P25 then you can do crossmode and dont even need a Fusion radio or a P25 radio. It does wifi, 1 click updates. For 37 bucks you can buy 5 of these things for the price of one openspot. While I liked the openspot when the technology was new, this is a competitive landscape and not sure they can provide anything better for 37 bucks.

jaxdialation

Post by jaxdialation » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:47 pm

I have one that's due to be delivered tomorrow.

I can't say I'm happy about not being told it will be obsolete soon.

Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:44 pm

jaxdialation wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:47 pm
I have one that's due to be delivered tomorrow.

I can't say I'm happy about not being told it will be obsolete soon.
When did you order it? SharkRF have not yet revealed a new model, but a tweet on Friday did say "soon" for the release of a new product. We don't know what it is yet.
Brian

jaxdialation

Post by jaxdialation » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:00 am

It's not really important when I ordered it. It is due for delivery tomorrow from via DHL, and it's obsolete.

Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:21 am

Will it do what you wanted when you ordered it?

Obsolete would imply no function or support, neither of which is the case.
Brian

K7CTC

Post by K7CTC » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:44 pm

I am excited to see what SharkRF has come up with for their next generation product. I also recognize that since the openSPOT was first released the market for these types of devices has changed. Yes, you can buy knock-off Chinese boards on eBay and build something with similar functionality for much less money... But, as far as I can tell, the openSPOT is still the only product that runs an embedded OS rather than a full-blown linux install. All the rest of these products seem to rely on a single board computer (usually a Raspberry Pi) and linux in order to work.

What I love about the openSPOT is it's simplicity. It's a great standalone device that is practically plug-n-play.

Don't get me wrong, I have several Raspberry Pis that I use for various projects that usually require some tinkering. I don't mind tinkering to get something to work the way I want it to. Heck, what is amateur radio without tinkering. But, I purchased the openSPOT so that I could simply plug it in and use it, and it has not disappointed.

WS1L

Post by WS1L » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:33 pm

digitalvoice wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:19 am
...You can buy a chinaspot for 37.00 on EBAY and it covers DMR, Dstar, Fusion, NXDN, P25 then you can do crossmode and dont even need a Fusion radio or a P25 radio. It does wifi, 1 click updates. For 37 bucks you can buy 5 of these things for the price of one openspot... not sure they can provide anything better for 37 bucks.
While I am enjoying my openspot, I wouldn't mind experimenting with something cheap. I see the Pi Zero Wifi on ebay for around $10 but the D-Star boards I see are all around $90. Add a case and I'm over $100 plus my time involved in setting it up...

If I could find a $37 board, I'd give it a try though. Can you recommend a dealer or a link?

73 de Chuck, WS1L