New Model OpenSpot

w9km

Re: New Model OpenSpot

Post by w9km » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi SharkRF guys!

The OpenSpot supposed to be my birthday gift. Guess what - it has to be ordered exactly in the day when the "No More" announcement from SharkRF shake the internet...

So here I am, sitting in my shack, lonely, with no birthday gift, sad and sorrow. Can you at least give me some hope that the new product will be of the same greatness as the old one? Should I wait for it until my next birthday (which will be June 9 2019 by the way), or there is a chance I'll get it before that date?
Please sweeten my grief. Thanks!

W9KM

G3ZOD

Post by G3ZOD » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Tyrbiter wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:21 am
Will it do what you wanted when you ordered it?

Obsolete would imply no function or support, neither of which is the case.
I believe that I "get" this. My openSpot arrived 2 weeks ago. If I had known that there was a replacement device about to be released (quote "openSPOT is no longer available in our shop. We’re introducing a new product soon!") I would definitely have waited before ordering. There are also questions as yet unanswered about for what period of time the current openSpot will be supported and firmware updates provided.

73 de Graham G3ZOD

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:38 am

openSPOT's official support is available until the end of 2019, this includes firmware updates. 2 year warranties are valid from the moment of purchase/delivery.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

roger-uk

Post by roger-uk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:12 pm

There is always a new model around the corner and if You bought it 2 weeks ago then you could not have done that much research - It's a good product use it and enjoy.

digitalvoice

Post by digitalvoice » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:29 am

If you just bought one and a new one comes out, sell it and buy another one. These things sell pretty quick on QRZ.

PA3BZT

Post by PA3BZT » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Suddenly there was a big discount on the OpenSPOT that was explained as “Easter sale” followed by
a lower selling price setting after the Easter period. For me, I considered this as a pre-announcement
a new model is coming soon.This was denied by Norbert.
See myTopic ‘Special offer or ..?’.

k1lho

Post by k1lho » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:39 am

WS1L reference to Chinaspot; is this really a brand name or reference to place of origin for an unnamed product. My guess is the new Openspot is going to support Wi Fi. I've solved that problem, and only have to carry an Android cellphone.

I have a ThumbDV from NW Digital ($120) I have two programs from PA7LIM; BlueDVAmbe loaded in my phone, DVserver loaded into my computer, and connect to my phone via ISP. I kind of retired my MD-380, but love D-Star with my Icom IC-7100, and my Openspot for this mode.

WS1L

Post by WS1L » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 am

I found one and have been playing with it since it arrived this week. So far I can say that it is certainly a viable option but I’ve got a fair amount of networking experience and have even done some Unix in my long ago past, so Linux isn’t exactly terrifying.

Still, it needed a few careful read throughs to get it right. Even now I am having too many dropouts and the BER isn’t stable, making setting the offset a challenge. Yes, the paperwork with it gave an offset of -475 but my error rate has bounced from 0.6% to 7.5%.

I’ve got around $100 invested, even after buying a spare Pi zero and a few odds and ends. It’s too early to tell if the problems I’m having are related to QC or my own inexperience but the OpenSpot would still be my choice for someone who doesn’t want to spend a lot of time configuring stuff and just wants to talk on the air.

I’m going to mess around with it some more. I enjoy the challenge, thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction. But, the OpenSpot is going to be the one I rely on for the foreseeable future.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

digitalvoice

Post by digitalvoice » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:36 am

If you set the products up correctly they all work. Its just a matter of how much knowledge you have with computers and following directions. I bought all brands from openspots, to Nanospots to DV4 minis to DV megas and I have to tell you. Ham operators, some are very good at setting up digital equipment, others are challenged. Instead of having a ham license for HF, I think they should also have a Ham license for digital. The amount of questions on how do I do this or that is crazy!! Part of the problem is Hams don't like to read. Read and your BER rates will be a non issue.

cyberjew

Post by cyberjew » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 pm

AGREED!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro