SOP on HOW TO connect to a DMR Repeater

K3JRZ

SOP on HOW TO connect to a DMR Repeater

Post by K3JRZ » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:18 pm

I've searched and haven't found the complete info I'm looking for.

I'm looking to try to connect to a local repeater (WR3IRS in Wilmington, Delaware, USA - https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/ ... 0&ID=14299) or to one of the talk groups that it supposedly connects to.

I'm running firmware 0141. Does anyone has a step-by-step instructions/SOP/walkthrough on how to configure the OpenSpot config info on the Connectors tab? (Going from a Fusion radio to DMR crosstalk through the OpenSpot.) Or is it just as simple as connecting to just DMR and selecting one talkgroup?

Thank you.
Last edited by K3JRZ on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k9agr

Re: SOP on HOW TO connect to a DMR Repeater

Post by k9agr » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:14 am

I'll start by saying I've pieced things together myself, and I may get some of this wrong. YMMV as they say.

Not all talkgroups on all networks are hotspot accessible. I know, I'm sad about that too. Specifically, down here on the lower part of the shore, the 8802 Delmarva talkgroup is not accessible via a hotspot, and I like that talkgroup a lot.

There are many DMR networks, and some of them link (or reflect or bridge, depending) some of their talkgroups over to others. For example, PRN bridges TAC310, TAC311, and TAC312 to Brandmeister, but Brandmeister's TAC313-TAC319 aren't bridged as far as I know.

I personally find connecting to brandmeister to be the easiest, and they seem to have a lot of talkgroups linked/bridged/reflected over to other networks. I've not found any reason to try exploring the other options any farther.

I don't have a step by step guide for you, but I'll say that there are several pieces of the puzzle. You say you're using a Fusion radio and wanting to crossmode to DMR, so that adds another potential level of confusion. Let's address that first. I'm going to assume you're using brandmeister in these examples.

I think you'll find sharkrf's video on c4fm -> dmr to be helfpul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8lbABexVbc

On my Connectors tab, I have selected Homebrew/MMDVM, my BrandMeister API key installed (configured via brandmeister selfcare from brandmeister.network), and no static talkgroups set. In the DMR/Homebrew/MMDVM section, I have my frequencies set, Homebrew selected, and one of the US brandmeister servers selected (3102 in my case). I set my callsign (KD4PPG) and my DMR ID + SSID (3100184 + 97 = 310018497). Brandmeister lets you append 2 digits to your DMR ID number so you can have multiple hotspots online at a time. This is quite convenient. I have auto connect to ID set to 0. I have "Route C4FM calls to ID:" set to 9. I believe this is a brandmeister built in reflector controller that works *per hotspot* but I'm not entirely clear on that. I have "Reroute DMR TG9 calls to ID" set to 9 as well. Both of these are Group call.

To connect from my radio, I make sure I have the frequency set correctly, and make sure I'm in Digital Narrow (DN) mode. I know it sounds stupid to mention this, but I find that the CWID from the openSPOT will flip my FTM-400 back to FM mode, and if there's no incoming digital signal, it'll stay there and I won't catch it. Every time it happens, I curse the designer that thought "let's not give the user a way to hammer this to digital mode" was a good idea.

The user manual has a lot of this in it: https://www.sharkrf.com/products/opensp ... cy/manual/

When using TG9 as a reflector, to set up a connection to a talkgroup, dial # followed by the group number (ex: #310 for TAC310). A call to #4000 will clear all talkgroups that have been linked. To make a private call to a number, dial * followed by the number. For example, to connect to brandmeister's parrot for private call (ID 9990) dial *9990 and release. After it links, you can key up and each transmission will send to the parrot, which will send it right back to you when you unkey. This way you can test that end to end is working. #4000 will clear it all and revert you back to just TG9.

These might help you map to brandmeister from that repeater (I can't guarantee things that match are actually bridged/linked/reflected):
Worldwide is TG91
North America is TG93
English is TG913
Maryland is TG3124
Pennsylvania is TG3142
Mid-Atlantic is TG3173
Delaware Valley (8801) isn't present to the best of my knowledge
Tri-State might match with TG31360 NY-NJ-PA TriState
Penn-mar I don't think is present
Local TS2 TG9 I don't think is routed
ua english 1 and 2 I don't think are on BM
I'm pretty sure TAC310-TAC319 are the same on BM, TG310 to TG319
D.C. is TG3111
MD, PA, VA, northeast, mid-atlantic, southeast, texas/ok, southwest, mountain I think all match
parrot and audio test I think are done differently.
first coast is TG31121

I'm sure others will pop in and correct me if I've gotten anything wrong here. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I did. Hopefully this will help you find your way through the maze.

Personally, I really like the TG9 reflector model, as it's very flexible. The downside is that it's difficult to dial those numbers while driving.

73 de KD4PPG

K3JRZ

Post by K3JRZ » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Connecting to Brandmeister is not a problem for me. I've done it several times. Back & forth between YSF & DMR. Now that there's a local DMR repeater (and that it's linked to a few others in lower DE) I wanted to try to get to them one way or another or to the talk groups they're connected to. If not, no big deal for now.

k9agr

Post by k9agr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Yeah, as far as I've determined, you can only connect to the talkgroups that are bridged. It is one of my greatest disappointments, because the delmarva talkgroup is the most interesting one to me, and I have difficulty reaching any of the repeaters that carry it. WR3IRS doesn't bridge all the talkgroups over to brandmeister. (neither does K4USD, which the salisbury, md machine and the wallops machine use to carry 8802 delmarva).

I and several others have been pushing to get that talkgroup bridged. Perhaps you can push the network operators to bridge the ones you want to get to as well.

I've read somewhere (facebook brandmeister group perhaps?) that it's possible for a repeater's DMR ID to be used as a talkgroup identifier, and the repeater can be configured to connect that to something like Local 2 for example, and then a hotspot can connect to the ID for the repeater to connect into whatever it's mapped to on the repeater itself. This requires coordination between the repeater operator and brandmeister admins.

I fear that the 8801, 8802, 8803 talkgroups won't bridge with their existing id numbers due to not matching the plan for talkgroup ID number assignments, so this might be an uphill battle.

Also, they just put a new repeater up near wilmington in cecil county this weekend, 443.650 +, CC1. They're calling it havre de grace. It has 8802 in PTT mode. Also, I've been told the delaware machines are going to be moving 8802 to the opposite timeslot from the delaware statewide group.

I hope this is helpful.

jim

N9WYS

Post by N9WYS » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:15 am

Sorry guys, I'm REALLY new to all this, and I'm having one helluva a time trying to configure a C4FM to DMR connection.

Under the connectors tab, I have selected "Homebrew/MMDVM"
General Settings: Change to NULL = 0
Change After Last Call from: MODEM

DVR/Homebrew/MMDVM
Frequency: 433.9000
Modem Mode: C4FM
Protocol: Homebrew
Server: UnitedStates/3102
Server Address: 74.91.114.19
Port (UDP): 62030
Callsign: N9WYS
DMR ID: 313840910
URL: https://sharkrf.com/
Password: ********** (My Login Password for SharfRF website??)
Backup Server: -- blank --
Backup Server Address: -- blank --
Autoconnect to ID: 0
Autoconnect TDMA Channel: 0
Autoconnect Interval (sec): 0
DMO Mode TDMA Channel: 0
Route cross mode call to ID: 9
Group Call: Selected
Reroute DMR TG9 calls to ID (0 to disable): 9
Group Call: Selected
Keepalive interval (sec): 5
RX timeout (sec): 30
Connect retry interval (sec): 1

What am I doing wrong? All I can hear is "OpenSPOT Trying to connect to server..."

Thanks,
Mark - N9WYS

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:25 am

We heard that the BrandMeister Network is under heavy DDOS attack now, so servers are sometimes down, that's why your openSPOT can't connect. Try connecting to different servers. Also don't forget to set the "Route cross mode call to ID" to the talkgroup you want to talk on.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

N9WYS

Post by N9WYS » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:40 pm

OK, thanks. At first, I was wondering if I had a password incorrect (like maybe I needed one specific to the Brandmeister network) or something else, or had a setting wrong elsewhere.

I'll make that one setting change indicated above and be patient.

Mark - N9WYS

N9WYS

Post by N9WYS » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 pm

I still think I have something wrong in the settings... I've tried all the United Ststes servers with no joy. I get the message "Connector Authentication Failed".

Am I using the correct server password - that being the password I use for SharkRF??

I've set "Route cross mode calls to ID: 3166" because this is the talkgroup the users are on that I desire to talk to. Otherwise, all other settings remain the same... no changes.

Is the DDOS attack still underway, or am I doing something wrong? I sure would like to get this operating in cross mode. It works like a champ for the C4FM rooms!

Mark - N9WYS

N9WYS

Post by N9WYS » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:04 pm

I was just looking a little "deeper" into the Settings section. I have the following in DMR Settings:

Color Code : 1
Echo ID: 9999
Default cross mode source DMR ID: 0
Allow only ID's as cross mode callsigns: CLEAR (Un-checked)
Force source ID from modem: 0
Send no in-band data to network: CLEAR (Un-checked)
Force talker alias to DMR newtork: Blank (No entry)
Send no in-band data to network: CHECKED

Maybe the issue is here and not in the Connectors settings??

Also, the modem status keeps flashing between "Connector connecting" and "Modem transmitting". The OpenSPOT is transmitting every 1/2 second on-and-off....

Mark - N9WYS

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 am

The server password needs to be set to your hotspot security password which you can change on your BrandMeister Network SelfCare page. If hotspot security is turned off there then set the password to "passw0rd" (without the double quotation marks, this is the default BM server password).
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team