SOP on HOW TO connect to a DMR Repeater

N9WYS

Re: SOP on HOW TO connect to a DMR Repeater

Post by N9WYS » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:09 pm

I think this is becoming clearer for me. But if I understand correctly, I need to register with BrandMeister for network access... This may be my failure point - I'm currently using the SharkRF website URL for the server location, not BrandMeister URL.

So I need to go to BrandMeister and register, yes?

Mark - N9WYS

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:41 am

If you don't have a BrandMeister Network registration on https://brandmeister.network/ then you can use the default server password "passw0rd" (without the double quotation marks).
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

N9WYS

Post by N9WYS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Norbert, thanks. But I'm confused as to what URL to put in for the server - the "default" one already programmed in:
http://sharfRF.com OR
http://bransmeister.network.com or something similar. ???

I started to register with BrandMeister yesterday - still awaiting the confirmation e-mail to activate the account.

Mark - N9WYS

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:11 pm

The settings which are available if advanced mode is turned off matter only. You don't have to care about the server URL setting. If you mean the server address, then select the server from the dropdown list which is physically closest to your location.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

N9WYS

Post by N9WYS » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:25 am

Well, I got it working tonight. I get an error that pops up on the OpenSPOT2 status screen (Lower left corner in a black band) - "Warning: the callsign N9WYS not found in the DMR-ID database!"

That doesn't seem to affect whether I can connect - I was able to get onto talkgroup 3117 and QSO with 6 other hams. However, I'm STILL waiting for someone - anyone - to send me an e-mail to validate my registration with BrandMeister so I can access their website / database.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate, and a Blessed Passover to those who observe...
Mark - N9WYS

DaveKY

Post by DaveKY » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:23 pm

I had that problem with receiving validation from brandmeister also, but that was well over a year ago. After waiting a week or more and checking my spam folder daily just incase it got redirected there, I finally did some digging and sent a message to F4BWG through a website that I can't find today or I'd give you the address. He took care of the issue promptly.

N9WYS

Post by N9WYS » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks Dave.

If you can relocate that website, I'd appreciate it. I'm not the only one "hanging in limbo" waiting for a validation from BrandMeister.

All-in-all, things seem to be working OK for me... it's just that when I try to connect to a different talkgroup, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The difference is apparently what numbers BrandMeister has for the talkgroups - some match those used on the repeaters, others don't. I don't understand why the differences, but it is what it is.

Happy Easter or Blessed Passover!!
de Mark - N9WYS

DaveKY

Post by DaveKY » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Sorry Mark, at the time when I was having validation issues Oliver (f4bwg) was on their development team and had a link posted to his site (his callsign.com) which today takes me to a GoDaddy do you want to register this address page. :roll: I don't even have his email since we used a message portal from his site which apparently doesn't exist any longer.

I've also noticed some issues lately with some talk groups working part time. We have a weekly net that was working fine but lately it seems that you need two radios to get all the traffic, one on the open spot connected to brandmeister and one tuned to the nearest repeater.