AutoCal OpenSpot 1

DMRShark

AutoCal OpenSpot 1

Post by DMRShark »

Other than Auto Calibration (on OpenSpot 1), is there anything else I can do to improve the BER performance?

Try another frequency on my radio and OS... and re-run AutoCal?

Can the BER performance on the original OS1 get anywhere near the performance I'm getting on my OpenSpot2?

I did this backward. Bought the OS2 first (recently), then bought a used original OpenSpot... and I find Bit Rate Error performance nowhere near good as the OS2. Am I expecting too much? Is there anything beyond AutoCal that I can manually tweak?

Thanks.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: AutoCal OpenSpot 1

Post by HA2NON »

Yes, try changing frequencies and rerun AutoCal, or manually switch DMR demod modes.
The OS2 has an entirely different, much more advanced hardware and software architechture than the OS1.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

DMRShark

Post by DMRShark »

I've done everything you mentioned... with changing the frequency and that yielded better results (somewhat). I moved it to the mid-band range of it's operating parameters. While the BER appeared as a small ripple... I thought it sounded better. However, over time it seems to lose the fidelity it had (even though the BER still shows only a slight ripple).

I get the same results with my OP2 as I do with OP1. The BER ripple is hard to interrupt with an actual % numerical value of error loss. Both actually perform (and sound) about the same.

Is there any advantage with the OP1 to check the box for "AutoCal" after performing a manual AutoCal?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

What AutoCal checkbox do you mean?
SharkRF Team

DMRShark

Post by DMRShark »

Under Modem--->

Calibration
Auto calibration (check box)
Quick cal. delay (sec):30
Autocal modem CPU temp. diff. (°C):10
Autocal RF modem temp. diff. (°C):10
Autocal temp. read interval (sec):60
Autocal temp. read delay (sec):30

The manual doesn't recommend checking.... so why is it there? Should it be used?

All that said... now I seem to be getting better audio from the OS1. Judging via Local Echo test, then doing a networked DMR Parrot Test. That way, if the local is fairly clean (low BER)... then testing through the network I can hear the degradation added (with is usually pretty minimal - unless packet loss).

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

The modem auto calibration should be checked.
SharkRF Team