CW ID

W1DGL

CW ID

Post by W1DGL »

Hey, Norbert!
I realize that the openSPOT1 does its CW ID on SSB (why?) - as opposed to the openSPOT 2 & 3 doing it on FM analog, but is there a way to 'convert' it so that it Tx's the CW ID on FM analog instead? Perhaps via the Dashboard or maybe a slight mod to the board or whatever?
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: CW ID

Post by HA2NON »

The openSPOT2/3 supports CW ID both in CW and FM. The openSPOT1 only supports CW ID only in CW. Both modes can be used for a CW ID as required by amateur radio rules.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
W1DGL

Post by W1DGL »

HA2NON wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:21 am The openSPOT2/3 supports CW ID both in CW and FM. The openSPOT1 only supports CW ID only in CW. Both modes can be used for a CW ID as required by amateur radio rules.
OK, but is there a way to 'convert' (for lack of a more correct term) it to support FM mode instead of CW mode? Mine's obviously long since out of warranty, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. I'd like to be able to actually hear my spot's CW ID without having to set up my IC-706MkIIG to listen to it.
I realize you set it up originally to be able to comply with the rules (your country's and mine), but why was that done (using SSB instead of FM), when using FM analog would have worked just as well?
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

It is simpler to implement the ID in CW. FM ID was added later to the OS2 and OS3.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team