Open spot keeps connecting disconnectine

Screamineagle

Open spot keeps connecting disconnectine

Post by Screamineagle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm having trouble with my open spot connecting and announcing it's connected then every few seconds announces disconnected
I'm running it through UBNT router/wifi and using an icom 5100 and using my Verizon iPhone as a hotspot.
Everything seems fine for a while then it starts disconnecting again
I mostly connect to dstar reflectors and cannot keep it connected
Also after I set my reflector choice etc and when it disconnects I see that I must re enter the reflector mode and enter it again

I have rebooted and has not solved the problem

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
DAve KA8DJN

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Open spot keeps connecting disconnectine

Post by HA2NON » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:11 pm

If you want to use a reflector, make sure that you have set the URCALL on your radio to CQCQCQ. If you want to use a gateway, set the URCALL to the gateway’s callsign and remote module. Remote module should be the last character of the URCALL. Make sure you have registered your local module on the D-STAR gateway registration system. If you have a registration, you have probably registered the “space” local module, in this case set your openSPOT’s local module to a space (empty) character.

openSPOT only disconnects if it does not get a valid packet from the server in every RX timeout seconds. Maybe your phone's network connection through the UBNT router is not stable enough, or the server's network connection is not stable or it is restarted frequently.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

Rick_VE7

Re: Open spot keeps connecting disconnecting

Post by Rick_VE7 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 am

Hi, was there a resolution to the disconnecting/connecting problem? I've had the original version Open Spot for over a year and working fine till a few months ago when it started doing this disconnect/connect fairly frequently, five or more times per hour. It happens randomly, could be sitting for a long time with no activity and it does it. It can happen at any time. I can't be sure but this may have started happening after upgrading to the current firmware. Can you help? 73' Rick

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:41 am

Probably the currently configured server has connectivity issues. Use another server. The openSPOT indicates a disconnect/reconnect if the server does not respond to keepalive packets for RX timeout seconds.
SharkRF Team

W1DGL

Post by W1DGL » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi, Norbert.
I'm having a similar issue here. When I first got my own WiFi back (instead of having to use my neighbor's), I connected my openSPOT (original) to my router and it connected fine, and I was able to connect to it online.
For some reason it disconnected (somehow got it to connect a couple of times, but I don't know how, but within a few minutes, it disconnected again) and I can't connect to it online, either. I'm getting a rapidly-blinking red Status LED, and blinking green on the others.
I tried rebooting everything (modem, router and openSPOT), but to no avail. My computers connect to the router just fine, though, but when I try connecting using either of the Manual page's links, I get a "Hmmm...We can't access that site right now" error page.
A couple of times it did connect (online), but the Status light was still rapid blinking red and the status page showed http://174.126.119.241/main.html_gz#status.
Resetting gets me a slow-blinking red Status for about 5 seconds, then it returns to rapid blinking red.
Last edited by W1DGL on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

W1DGL

Post by W1DGL » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm now getting a "Timed out" error message every time I try to connect online.
Last edited by W1DGL on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Can you open the openSPOT's web interface?
SharkRF Team

W1DGL

Post by W1DGL » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:37 am

No. I get either a "Hmmm..we can't find that page" or a "Timed out" error message each time I try, but I can get to it on rare occasions.
Last edited by W1DGL on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

W1DGL

Post by W1DGL » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 am

OK, Norbert, the Status is a slow-blinking red now (did another reset where I held the reset button in as I plugged the power in and held it for about 10 seconds afterwards) instead of rapidly-blinking, but it's still not connecting, nor can I connect to it (still getting the previously mentioned error messages) to attempt to change the server on it (I saw you mention that in a previous post on this thread).
I'd like to post a short video of what it's doing (both before and after the reset), but the site doesn't seem to allow .mov files.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:11 am

Slow (1Hz) flashing red Status LED means that the null connector is active. This is the default case when you've done a factory reset. Activate another connector to initiate connecting to a server.
Fast flashing red Status LED means openSPOT is trying to connect to the selected server, but it can't connect (network issues, or server is down). In this case you should try using another server.

Make sure openSPOT is connected to the same router your browser device is connected to with an Ethernet cable. If http://openspot.local/ does not work then please open the web interface by entering openSPOT's IP address in your browser. You can find openSPOT's IP address by looking at the DHCP client list in your router's web interface, or you can use an IP or MDNS scanner app.
SharkRF Team