Can only hear one side of QSO at times

k3ACE

Can only hear one side of QSO at times

Post by k3ACE » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 pm

Have been listening to a gent on TAC 310 for over a half hour via the openspot, but have yet to hear the other operator. The other operator doesn't show on the status page other. What causes this?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Can only hear one side of QSO at times

Post by HA2NON » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:23 am

openSPOT transmits what it receives from the server. The call log shows all calls received from the server. If there is no call log entry for the call, then the server did not send the call to your openSPOT. Please also check the USB serial console log.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

vk6ybz

Post by vk6ybz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:19 pm

i am fairly new to DMR and not particularly computer literate. I get your response that the server has not forwarded the call to the radio. This indeed happens but why? How can I fix it?
regards
Harry VK6YBZ

DaveKY

Post by DaveKY » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:07 pm

I've seen this several times and I believe it's because some folks have their receive programmed to more than one talk group and end up in a conversation with someone else doing the same thing. Since they are essentially only transmitting to the one group, in this case 310, anyone listening to 310 will hear that side of the conversation. But since they may also be listening to a "local" group or whatever they can converse with someone that you can't hear. It does get a bit confusing at first.
On my openspot for instance, I listen to not only the talk group I transmit to but also TG9 to receive info from the openspot. So I could actually carry on a conversation with someone else listening to my transmit TG and them transmitting to TG9....kinda like working split on hf.
Hope I didn't confuse you more. :shock:

vk6ybz

Post by vk6ybz » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:18 am

Thanks for your response. Its very clear and makes sense to me. Its just a pity that it seems to happen such a lot. Probably 40-50% of the QSO's on TG91 suffer this kind of issue. Are people really so careless, are they not aware that they cannot be heard? Anyway, Thanks for clearing it up for me.
regards
Harry VK6YBZ

DaveKY

Post by DaveKY » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm

If you check out some of the websites or videos that were produced to help people program DMR radios it was pretty much standard practice to program individual channels for each talk group but they would set up a "receive group" that contained every talk group that a particular repeater offered. I think the original intent was to hear everything but respond only on the desired channel...well that hasn't worked out so well and it really shows up when using a openspot. It works fine if the operators are paying attention and tune to the talk group their friends are actually on.
So to answer your question, yes they are sometimes careless and probably wonder why only a few of their friends can hear them when they respond.