Laptop Bridge Connections for travel usage

WB5JJJ

Laptop Bridge Connections for travel usage

Post by WB5JJJ »

OK, I can get this to work on occasion, but it is not really reliable. This is a Windows 10 Creator Edition 64bit machine with 8Gb RAM.

I have my laptop Wi-Fi logged on to a wireless connection and so far all is working as expected.

I Bridge Connections from the Ethernet Connection (where the openSPOT is plugged in) to my Wi-Fi Connection. The Bridge is established and the Network Bridge icon appears.

I takes a long time (a minute or more) for the openSPOT to connect to any BM server, but it finally does and works just fine. After a few minutes, it disconnects and my laptop Wi-Fi connection icon has a red X. After a while, the X goes away and things start back working after another long delay connecting to BM. The network Wi-Fi is OK as my phone is on the same Wi-Fi access point and it's working just fine, so it's not the Wi-Fi, just the laptop Bridge Connected setup.

What am I missing?
George Cotton, WB5JJJ
Russellville, Arkansas USA

WB5JJJ

Re: Laptop Bridge Connections for travel usage

Post by WB5JJJ »

UPDATE:

I think I figured out the problem. If I set up the Bridge BEFORE connecting the openSPOT, the os finds the BM server pretty quickly (<15 seconds). However, it will lose the WiFi from the laptop after about a minute and thus disconnect from BM. This I do not understand as the laptop will stay connected to the WiFi by itself for days on end.

However, after I unplug the os USB cable and plugging it back in, it again connects to BM in pretty normal time period, but this time it stays connected for hours on end until it loses the BM connection (like it does from time to time when hardwired) and then reconnects.

Not sure why it wants the bridge to be configured FIRST and then connect the os, but that seems to be the key. I'll take the laptop to another WiFi system and see if this holds true.
George Cotton, WB5JJJ
Russellville, Arkansas USA