Radio not being heard bt OpenSpot

KW4G

Radio not being heard bt OpenSpot

Post by KW4G » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:17 pm

I just purchased a new OpenSpot from GigaParts, because I have heard so much on the air about how easy these devices are to setup and use. I ran into a problem right away with DMR. The OpenSpot does not hear transmissions from the radio. The MODEM LED does not light when I transmit, and I get no response back from the OpenSpot. The OpenSpot is able to connect to reflectors on DMR+, and TG's on Brandmeister. I do get voice announcements over the radio from the OpenSpot, and can hear audio from transmissions. The audio seems to be choppy at times. Audio also seems to be choppy in both directions on DSTAR. I do not use Fusion. I have a Tytera MD-380 that I have been using with a DVMega/Raspberry PI combo on DMR for a couple of years. I have not changed the settings on the radio. I also have a DV4Mini that I have used this radio with. I have an Icom ID-51A for DSTAR that works fine with the DVMega, DV4Mini and a DVAP. I do not believe it is a network problem as all the other devices work well. I am not able to use the Auto Calibrate connector, as the OpenSpot does not hear the radio. I have tried stepping through all the various modulation modes manually. I am tempted to send the device back to GigaParts at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

Roy KW4G
Naples, Florida USA

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Radio not being heard bt OpenSpot

Post by HA2NON » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:17 am

Please manually change the DMR demod mode on the Modem page and find out which works best.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

KW4G

Post by KW4G » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 pm

As I stated in my original post, I have already tried manually stepping through all of the demodulation modes, A-F. The OpenSpot does not receive my radio transmissions using any of them.

Roy KW4G

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Please check if the color code of openSPOT matches your radio. If it still does not work, try changing frequencies, and do AutoCal/manual DMR demod mode switching again.
SharkRF Team

KW4G

Post by KW4G » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:55 pm

HA2NON wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Please check if the color code of openSPOT matches your radio. If it still does not work, try changing frequencies, and do AutoCal/manual DMR demod mode switching again.
The radio and the OpenSpot are both set to CC1. I changed the radio frequency to 436.000 MHz, the default OpenSpot frequency. I again stepped through all 6 demodulation modes. No receive LED and no response from the OpenSpot. In autocalibrate mode, the blue progress meter never even starts to move.

Roy KW4G

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:59 am

Please set the RX and TX reference frequencies to medium in your radio's CPS.
SharkRF Team

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:45 pm

And set the rx/tx frequencies to same qrg.....

KW4G

Post by KW4G » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Please be aware that I have read the online manual. I have tried all of the suggestions it contains. The only thing I had not tried was changing the frequency. I have now tried using 436.000 MHz, which is the OpenSpot default. I had previously been using 441.000 MHz. I did have the RX and TX reference frequencies set to MED when I tried this frequency. The OpenSpot just does not receive my DMR radio for some reason. Any other suggestions I should try? Thanks for your help.

Roy KW4G

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am

Please send us screenshots of the modem and settings page. Please turn on advanced mode before taking the screenshots.
SharkRF Team

KW4G

Post by KW4G » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:10 am

I hope this is what you need. This is the only way I could figure out to do it. Thanks.

Roy KW4G
Attachments
modem1.png
modem2.png
settings1.png
settings3.png
settings4.png
settings5.png