Phantom call decoded

WB5JJJ

Phantom call decoded

Post by WB5JJJ »

For the past couple of months, I have been seeing the SAME phantom call displayed on my MD-380 as well as in the Call Log of the OS on it's builtin website. I thought it might be related to the 1.41 update, so I rolled it back a couple, but it still does it.

This only happens when I get a disconnect and reconnect from any of the BM servers, which is happening a lot lately. This same call will come up about 5-15 seconds after the reconnect. The OS will transmit that call to my MD-380 as well as put it in the call log. This callsign is local, but he very seldom has his radio on. I've checked with him and he is not PPTing to access a talkgroup, even days before, when this happens. I suspect this is a BM problem, but thought I would check and see.
George Cotton, WB5JJJ
Russellville, Arkansas USA

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Phantom call decoded

Post by HA2NON »

Please make (and post) a screenshot of the status page call log when this happens so we can see the call params.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

WB5JJJ

Post by WB5JJJ »

The phantom call is KF5MLP. Again, this is a local ham that is not on the air at the times this happens.

One instance after a disconnect/connect from BM, the other just one of many random throughout the day.
Attachments
Setings 2.JPG
Sample 1.JPG
George Cotton, WB5JJJ

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Does this happen when you load the web interface, or is the web interface already loaded for at least several minutes?
SharkRF Team

WB5JJJ

Post by WB5JJJ »

Typically my web interface runs about 12 hours a day as I monitor activity. After starting the web interface, I won't see anything till the first real call comes across. I don't remember the phantom call ever being the first one seen. Occasionally throughout the day KF5MLP's call will show up. But most of the time after a disconnect/reconnect from the BM server. This happens on 3101, 3102, 3103 & 3108.

I'm usually on 3102, but lately, it's been doing a lot of reconnects and frequently OS does not show the static TG's, even though they appear to still be working. So for the past couple of weeks, I've been on 3101 and the static always show up there.
George Cotton, WB5JJJ

WB5JJJ

Post by WB5JJJ »

Just a bump up to remind you to look into this.
George Cotton, WB5JJJ

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

The openSPOT's web interface downloads the static TG list from the BM API (https://api.brandmeister.network/v1.0/r ... &q=2161005 replace 2161005 with your DMR ID), so if static TGs do not show up on the web interface then the BM API does not report them correctly.

It seems that the call log on the screenshot you've posted is generated on the first web interface load (all entries have the same timestamp and also I see openSPOT voice announcements). Can you please make a screenshot of the call log when this phantom call is happening, and the openSPOT's web interface is already loaded?

BTW the openSPOT forwards everything what it receives from the server.
SharkRF Team

WB5JJJ

Post by WB5JJJ »

OK. KF5MLP has turned off his openSPOT now for a week. I have not seen his call in my Call Log since. Prior to turning it off, he had not used his HT on it in some time, especially in the hours from 0000 to 0800 local time, even though his call was frequently appearing at these times.

I may have him "loan" me his OS and put it online here at home. I'll set up another computer to monitor it's web interface and see if it logs itself transmitting or receiving it's own call.

Results to follow in time.
George Cotton, WB5JJJ