OpenSpot stops responding after a few hours (never worked steadily)

caliham

Re: OpenSpot stops responding after a few hours (never worked steadily)

Post by caliham » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:46 am

Froze again.
Rebooted.

HG1MA
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HG1MA » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Hello,

You should return your openSPOT to Estonia and we'll examine it. You can read about the return process here: https://shop.sharkrf.com/content/3-terms-and-conditions

Regards,

Ákos HG1MA

caliham

Post by caliham » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Hello Ákos,

I have read the information you referred me to, and initiated the return on your website which currently shows as "Waiting for confirmation".

At this time, I would like to confirm that you will send me a pre-paid label for the return, considering that the OpenSpot has NEVER worked more than a few hours at a time since DAY ONE and is clearly DEFECTIVE.

I have packaged and weighted the OpenSpot and checked with DHL (the carrier you use and recommend) and because I am just a residential customer without volume agreement, the cost to ship to you from California will be USD$90. Obviously it would not be fair that I have to pay $90 to return a product that has NEVER worked. Please confirm that SharkRF will provide a shipping label and take care of the shipping fees to return the product and ship a new one.

Also I'd like to ask if you can please provide with an advanced replacement, where you don't wait for the product to arrive before sending a new one (I have placed the original back-order almost 2 months ago, and I haven't had a chance to get a working product at this time). You can charge my credit card again if you'd like, and refund it when you receive the defective product.

Thank you.

benybarr

Post by benybarr » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:22 am

Hi I am on the same boat,my openspot stop working they told me to ship it to them on my expense,absolutley not fair,but again Fair is a place where you ride the fairy well and eat cotton candy......

caliham

Post by caliham » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:21 am

Hi Beny ! Well, I'm definitely not paying $90 for returning something that was defective right outside the box! The OpenSpot is already $240, plus $90 now that would be $330 for a hotspot!

And I'm not talking about dreamland, I'm talking about fair business practices. SharkRF is a for-profit company that advertises a working product at $240, and they can't just ship a defective product right outside the box and ask you to pay to have it returned out of your own pocket. That would be called a FRAUD. If shipping was $10, it would be a different story... but we're talking about international express shipping at nearly $100 !

Besides not paying for a defective-on-arrival product would be a very bad business move for SharkRF, as the cost of the bad publicity that would result from such practices on all social medias and amateur radio boards would cost SharkRF far more than $90 in loss of revenue and bad reputation. So right now I'm not posting anything on eham, facebook, twitter, reddit and the like until I see how this will be handled by SharkRF. If shipping is paid and even an advance shipping is offered, you bet that I will post stellar reviews all over the Internet; as one defective product can happen when it is handled with fairness by the manufacturer. And if this is handled fairly and I receive a working replacement, I absolutely will put as much efforts to cover the internet of 5-star reviews for years to come! That's *my* guarantee!

By the way Beny, is your replacement fully working now ?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:10 am

Hello,

First of all, it's a very general way in case of web based shopping that the buyer have to pay the return costs. This is the case when you buy something even on eBay or Amazon. Also you have accepted the terms and conditions during the checkout process, which means you have to return the item, but we offer you to help with the shipping. If we order the return shipping from DHL, it will cost 25 EUR for you. Please contact us at support@sharkrf.com

Benny: you haven't contacted us. If you send back your unit, we'll examine why it doesn't work after you've done an upgrade.

We want all of our customers to be satisfied with their openSPOTs.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

caliham

Post by caliham » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks for your response. It is indeed normal to pay for shipping on warranty returns for as long as the product has WORKED for a while. When you have received a product that was defective from first time usage, it is not the customers fault but rather the manufacturer for not having QA testing assuring that the product is free of defects. And the manufacturer should therefore bear the costs associated with the replacement. For your information, in USA both eBay and Amazon have policies is to reimburse customers for both inbound/return shipping when a product is returned because defective on-arrival.

I have worked for several electronics manufacturer in my life, both in Europe and North America.
From a business standpoint, for sure you can protect yourself with all sort of policies to accept prior to ordering; but be assured that when the customer is faced with a defective-on-arrival product and is asked to pay more than advertised to get a working product... NO MATTER what he agreed to at the time of order, you will turn this person into an upset customer and your brand/company/product will suffer damages from his experience. And if you ever get one of these angry customers that will spend days and nights posting negative reviews about your products and your company on all the websites they can find, your policy might very well have saved you the 25EUR of postage, but the damaged to your company's and product image is far more than 25EUR!

If I may suggest: if your defective-rate is low, you would be better off increasing the end user cost of a few EUR per product, and start building a reserve to pay shipping for people receiving a defective product. You will make a LOT HAPPIER customers, than asking customers who ordered a EUR 182,50 product to pay more just because they had the bad luck of getting a defective product... Keep in mind it's 100% your fault for sending a defective product. All the customer did is to trust you that you have a good product that they would be able to use. If you do this, you will turn negative reviews into positive even if the product is defective. I strongly urge you to consider this.

If your defective rate is 5%, you'd have to add (25 EUR x 0.05 = 1.25 EUR) to the price of the product to cover for any return shipping. I'm sure your customers won't mind that. But if your defective rate is 50%, you'd have to add (25 EUR x 0.5 = 12.5 EUR) for the return shipping fees reserve, which might be a harder sale.

Anyways, I hope this was a helpful insight. Thanks for offering to use your shipping account to pay lower fees. I will contact you by e-mail.

benybarr

Post by benybarr » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:11 am

no i never got a replacment,and i am not about to ship my unit on my won expence NO WAY !!!!!
they refuse to pay for the shipping,so now i have a deffective unit and $200 less on my bank account ,oh well.......The more reviews i read about the openspot the more i doubt the all thing seems like there is still A LOT OF PROBLEM with this product,ever day there is new postings on the TROUBLESHOOTING section,look to me like its a little to much,however i am still going to give a fair chance to the product,i belive it was my fault by buying one so early instead of waiting for a more refin product.

BUT NO I AM NOT PAYING FOR INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING.....!!!!!!!

dmrlobotomy

Post by dmrlobotomy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:46 pm

A Sr. Director of Hardware at a very large company often said: "All hardware problems are software problems after Rev. A silicon." As dismaying as that may seem, the statement was very rarely incorrect.

Shark needs to determine the root cause, and then implement a firmware fix, with free distribution over the internet, that hopefully implements a prevention strategy, but, as a less desired solution, an automatic recovery that does not require user intervention. Obviously prevention is more desirable.

Toward a firmware resolution, it might be useful to have a DEBUG distribution that logs diagnostic data that can lead toward determining root cause and implementing a solution.

I'm very concerned, however, about maintaining my (and three friends) current order. I hope this is resolved very quickly...

g8koe

Post by g8koe » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:00 am

Hi,

My openSpot how easy it is to assume there is problem with the latest updates or the unit itself.
I have been having problem remaining connected to 4400 on BrandMeister DMR network.
My setup has the openSPOT connected to my router via a network switch.
I had a Linksys 5-Port switch in line changed it for a D-Link 8-Port switch.
Everything now works as it should!
You could have a problem with your internet setup.
Try it on a different internet connection!

73’s
Martin
G8KOE