Openspot Transmits to BM but No RX Audio

radioman408

Openspot Transmits to BM but No RX Audio

Post by radioman408 »

My Openspot ver 1.1 transmits to Brandmeister talk groups and the audio can be heard. When someone transmits to me I can see the transmit signal led blinking red on the openspot and rf signal on the radio but there is no audio. I am using group call. I tried private call no difference. I checked the transmit and receive frequency, they are the same. I tried changing time slots that didn't help. I checked the color code and it is set at 1.

I then tried using a C4FM portable and connecting to DMR. Everything works great and I get audio on rx and tx. I tried the DMR hot spot using two different DMR radios but both had the same result.

When I use the Parrot talkgroup on Brandmeister, my audio is repeated and I can hear it on the DMR radios.

I have upgraded to the 0.64 firmware and it doesn't work. It used to work on the 0.58 firmware, but it fails to work there also. I reset the Openspot to default values and tried reprogramming all the parameters, that didn't work either. So then I tried downgrading to 0.58 firmware and still does not work.

Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks

W5hj

Re: Openspot Transmits to BM but No RX Audio

Post by W5hj »

See my post about jumping talkgroups under troubleshooting. If your radio is a Connect Systems you can program it for digital monitor and copy any talkgroup that might appear. If it is not a Connect Systems try putting a group call 3072 in a receive group and programing it as a receive group in some of your channels and see what happens.

Some including me are having problem with the Openspot jumping to talkgroup 3072 and of course you see the red light indicating that it is transmitting but you radio is not programmed to receive 3072 and you don't hear the audio.

Hank
Hank W5HJ 73

KK4MHI

Post by KK4MHI »

If you're on a hacked MD-380/390 you can turn on promiscuous mode for the same "digital monitor" effect as on the CS radios.

wb5nia

Post by wb5nia »

This probably won't fix it, but it's worth a try.

We had an openSPOT that would receive, but wouldn't transmit on DMR. Used a c4fm radio to transmit using the c4fm connector and modem. Then changed back to Homebrew connector, and DMR/Hotspot modem, and the darn thing is working on DMR.

The symptoms are not the same as yours, but as I say, it's worth a try.

dmrlobotomy

Post by dmrlobotomy »

Having the same issue with three devices, all delivered today, only when the AutoConnect is left at 0. If auto connect is programmed to a specific talk group (say 3116 / Group Call for example and then make a group call with the radio into 3116), the unit works fine. Returning to a auto connect value 0 / Private Call (i.e. the default), returns to the failed operation mode.

In failure mode, transmissions are heard by other stations on the same talk group.

In all three cases, using an MD-380 (not-hacked).

I have verified, with a spectrum analyzer, that the transmitter is on the proper frequency. Seems the issue is protocol related...

W5hj

Post by W5hj »

Try programing a receive group list with talkgroup 3072 as a group call in the channel you are using and see if in fact if your Openspot may be transmitting on 3072 instead of the desired talkgroup. Several other have had the problem and have determined that it is the case.

If the the modem lite on the Openspot is red it is transmitting and you radio is not receiving it it means one of three things is wrong, wrong frequency (unlikely), wrong color code (unlikely), wrong talkgroup (bingo). If your radio has digital monitor it is easy to track down what talkgroup it is. But a good guess is 3072 because that is what others have found with the Openspot.

Hank
Hank W5HJ 73

dmrlobotomy

Post by dmrlobotomy »

Programmed the MD-380 for 3072. Called a station on 3116 and had them transmit. Then switched to 3072 and did not hear that station.

W5hj

Post by W5hj »

Ok must not be 3072. Do you have access to a CS750, CS800 or Hacked MD380. They have the digital monitor feature that allows you to hear and identify any talkgroup that might show up. Most of the 3072 fault has been while on TG3148. perhaps the change is to a different TG when on 3116. Another option would see if it happens on 3148 and then monitor 3072.

If you use a receive group list of 3072 in the channel it is unnecessary to change channels to monitor 3072 as it will happen automatically.

Hank
Hank W5HJ 73

dmrlobotomy

Post by dmrlobotomy »

Negative on CS radios here. We have one more local user expecting a delivery tomorrow. He has CS equipment, and if his behaves the same, will ask him to run the test.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

dmrlobotomy: please check if reroute is disabled when you are not using auto connect. Also if you are using different CC than 1, you should upgrade to the beta fw 0066.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team