DMR+ Hearing some stations but not everyone ...

W4AFK

DMR+ Hearing some stations but not everyone ...

Post by W4AFK » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:08 am

DMR+ connected to 4581

- Three stations, me and two others (A and B).
- All three stations are in different cities.
- I can hear station A (DV4mini) but not B (He is using a Motorola radio)
- However, Station A can hear me and Station B
- Per OpenSPOT, UDP packets for both stations are received just as good.

I checked for new OpenSPOT F/W and saw that there is nothing new. I am running 072. I also rebooted my OpenSPOT with the same results.

I would suspect a problem upstream but I can't understand why I can hear Station A but not B, while Station A can hear me and Station B. We are all going through the Internet and the UDP packets seem toi be well received per OpenSPOT.

Any ideas?

W4AFK

Re: DMR+ Hearing some stations but not everyone ...

Post by W4AFK » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:08 am

UPDATE - Just flashed beta 087 but no one was available to test on DMR+ 4581 (New Years eve LOL). I will see if 087 solves the issue I described in my earlier post.

BTW, after the successful F/W update I was surprised to see that all of my 072 settings remained with the new 087 F/W.

My questions:
- Is this normal?
- Should I reset the OpenSPOT after a F/W update?

g8koe

Post by g8koe » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:46 am

Hi.
Setting are remembered if you update your firmware.
If you go back to early firmware settings are lost.
You should clear your browser cache "shift F5"
Don't forget to run DMR AutoCal to see if things have changed.
Happy New Year
from
Martin
G8KOE

W4AFK

Post by W4AFK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks Martin :-)

Yes ... I routinely clear my browser's cache and it was done. I thought that settings would be lost when you flash new firmware.

Tried to see if 085 fixed the issue of only hearing some stations but I can't connect to 4581 via Canada-East today. They must be working on the system :-). However, I did connect to Canada/3021 (BM) and ran successful tests there.

Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:00 pm

W4AFK wrote:DMR+ connected to 4581

- Three stations, me and two others (A and B).
- All three stations are in different cities.
- I can hear station A (DV4mini) but not B (He is using a Motorola radio)
- However, Station A can hear me and Station B
- Per OpenSPOT, UDP packets for both stations are received just as good.

I checked for new OpenSPOT F/W and saw that there is nothing new. I am running 072. I also rebooted my OpenSPOT with the same results.

I would suspect a problem upstream but I can't understand why I can hear Station A but not B, while Station A can hear me and Station B. We are all going through the Internet and the UDP packets seem toi be well received per OpenSPOT.

Any ideas?

I am seeing something like this using fw 0087, this is using the DMR+ connector and using the Phoenix-C UK DMR+ server.

Looking at the User page linked from http://uk-dmrplus.opendmr.net/ I note that if the rightmost column reads Voice then I hear all of a transmission, however if this reads Data then each over gives ~1s of audio at which point my MD-390 goes silent with the green Rx LED off.

I'd be quite happy to try and diagnose further except that the DMR+ servers seem to be a bit broken since Sunday and I don't know if they are up and running again. The User page mentioned above seems to come from ham-dmr.de which is unreachable right now.

--

Brian
Brian

dl4sdr

Post by dl4sdr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Actual i can connect my DV4 and my openSpot to the dmrplus server's. maybe they have repaired the stuff :D
herbert
dl4sdr

W4AFK

Post by W4AFK » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:58 am

Problem persists where at least one station is not consistently received. At times, that station starts to be heard mid-exchange. The problem seems to be between OpenSPOT and that other station on 4581.

The oddity is that other stations on 4581 hear us both without any issue. On my side, I hear all stations except that one. I have two Hytera radios over here, a MD782 and a PD782 and the problem is noted on both radios so it's not the radio side. OpenSPOT shows the red LED and the link data graphs are good (nothing different than for those I hear)

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this?

BTW, the far right column shows "voice" as it does for the others :-)

dl5ycw

Post by dl5ycw » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:46 pm

I am comparing DMR+ vs. Brandmeister.
In my opinion, DMR+ net quality is less then BM.
When i am using DMR+ server in DL to listen to TG262, i see high BER out of the net. So some OM's are having strange speech or completely unhearable.
Changing to BM Server, the BER is mostly 0.

Is this a known Issue? Autocal has been performed. But it seems to be a net effect.
Openspot FW 87 with MD-380 RT3
regards

Matthias

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Probably the stations you hear with large BER are with dv4minis. openSPOT's DMR AutoCal is only modifying openSPOT's modem RX.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:55 pm

I am continuing to suffer from the problem with audio disappearing, my previous comments stand except that the green Rx LED on the MD390 remains on which implies that it thinks it is seeing the correct sync pattern.

Again the thing that makes the difference is the last column of the table on the User tab reached from here http://uk-dmrplus.opendmr.net, if it says Voice then I hear the whole transmission, if it says Data then I hear a short burst of audio followed by silence.

I am using the DMRplus connector with the Phoenix-C UK server selected and have run DMR Autocal (makes no difference).

This feels like something happening on the OpenSpot Tx, the graphs of BER, network UDP traffic and de-jitter queue are just as they were previously with fw 0072, currently I have fw 0087
Brian